Railroad Forums 

• Old Erie Newark Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#117071  by Jersey_Mike

I was looking over a cab video of the NJT Boonton line before the Montclair Connection and at DB interlocking, I noticed that the connection to the old Erie Newark Branch was 1) interlocked and 2) judging by rail shineyness looked to be fairly well used.

Since DB bridge has been abandonned can anyone here tell me of the fate of the Newark Branch and if it is still used how do trains access it?

Here's an image...

#117082  by ajt

The NS Newark Branch is out of service. The lone remaining customer now transloads inbounds at Croxton yard.

#117190  by Lackawanna484

I drove over the Newark branch on NJ 7 earlier this week. Looked weedy and rusty...

#117203  by njt4172

NS should just rip the tracks out and use them elsewhere in their system......

#117211  by Irish Chieftain

Bah. Bring on the Hoboken-Paterson LRT via Bergen Arches, Kearny, Belleville, Nutley (hang their NIMBYs) and Clifton if NS has given up the Newark Branch altogether...we can then call the system the HPLRT (P for Passaic County)...

Either that, or where's Jimmy Wilson on this score? How long has commuter rail to Belleville and Nutley been gone for?

#117216  by Jersey_Mike

I actually have faith that the old Boonton Line will return to service and not as Light Rail.

Due to the agreement when the Montclair Connection went in, NJT can only run 15 diesel trains per day through it. Moreover, the Passiac river draw on the M&E is a bottleneck limiting NJT M&E throughput to 2 tracks.

If we see M&E expansion such as the Lack cuttoff and service to Washington, I see that NJT might need some extra tracks into Hoboken. The old Boonton seems to have a lot of nice lengths of tangent track that would give respectible diesel speeds. Diesel trains would start in outer terminals and then run express in electric territory before making the final 3 stops on the old Boonton. They would then run express to hoboken. Midtown passengers could change to a MT-D train at Great Notch.

Old DB would of course need to be rebuilt, but you'd have to do that anyway for a light rail. In fact, at DB you could have one track for NJT and another for light rail (which would then use the old Newark branch). The light rail use them use the old Erie cut to get into JC.

#117243  by JLo

Potentially, the Boonton Branch could become part of a new Mid-Town Direct using the THE Tunnel. It is certainly aimed in the right direction.

#117246  by BlockLine_4111

No more short trains through West Hudson park in Kearny to serve the plastics company (Spartech) on River Rd. in Kearny/East Newark ?

#117261  by sullivan1985

The far east end of the Newark Branch from what I know hasn't seen activity in about 8 years. My dad used to work at a company in Kearny and used to see locomotives there now and then, but now, nothing at all. Tracks are in horrible condition, and heavily over grown, and of couse covered in garbage of all sorts and sizes.

But as for the western side of the Newark Branch, most of it looks pretty well taken care of and from what I know of, still drilled now and then late at night by NS to server someone on Belleville.

#118178  by Dougster

Spartec was last served about 6 weeks after NJT service on the lower Boonton line ended.

#118208  by BlockLine_4111

Mutually exclusive events, coincidence ?

#118212  by Dougster

I'm sure that was the plan all along. They were not going to maintain DB draw just for 1 relatively small customer.

#118220  by BlockLine_4111

Dougster wrote:I'm sure that was the plan all along. They were not going to maintain DB draw just for 1 relatively small customer.
Couldn't they serve from the other end and not use DB ?

There is liternally no live ex-ERIE iron in the city of Kearny anymore.

#118224  by njt4172

No they arent going to serve the customer and never will by rail anymore!!! End of discussion!!!!