Railroad Forums 

• Old CNJ Underground Station in Newark?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#675352  by donredhead

On my way to Penn Station Newark I came across a boarded up entrance to a CNJ Station downtown. I assume that tracks are underground somewhere
 #677644  by AndyB

Sorry guys! You are going to have to tilt your heads to see it.
I tried to go accross the page but the lettering was too small to read.
The bridges over Highway 21 and of course the Amtrak tracks are still there.

Track Plan CNJ Newark Broad St. Terminal.

#678221  by Ken W2KB

Thanks for posting this. One correction to be noted, the crossover between the center two tracks in the 4 track passenger platform area is drawn opposite of what existed. I walked through the platform area in the mid-1970's and although the rails were gone, the ties were still there. This appears to be similar to a diagram that appeared in the NMRA magazine many years ago. Is that the source? The crossover was backwards in that one, too.
 #678500  by AndyB

Ken,
You may be right on the source.
This is from an enlargement copy from a magazine.
Over the years I made copies of many items of interest
and neglected to record the source. Now I say to myself
You dumb ass where did you get that from.
 #678835  by WaitinginSJ

CJPat wrote:Could it have been an old Public Service Trolley station? What made you think it was CNJ?
I do believe though that they had plans on using it as a future light rail station though. Also, it says Central Rail Road of New Jersey in giant gold letters on a green sign in the front.
 #678843  by CarterB

CJPat wrote:
I do believe though that they had plans on using it as a future light rail station though. Also, it says Central Rail Road of New Jersey in giant gold letters on a green sign in the front.
This sign is/was where?? by the old CNJ Broad St very much above ground terminal...or the old PSCT underground station?
 #678882  by Ken W2KB

CarterB wrote:
CJPat wrote:
This sign is/was where?? by the old CNJ Broad St very much above ground terminal...or the old PSCT underground station?
I believe he means the original lettering on the front wall of the station?

The PSCNJ Terminal Building location has no relevant signage.
 #679181  by JimBoylan

The Public Service Company of New Jersey building, which had Public Service Railways and Public Service Coordinated Transport bus and trolley stations, and the Cedar St. Subway underneath it, did have stone signs touting its electric, gas, and trolley businesses. The building was torn down in the 1970s. The detailed names changed more often than the stonework could be altered.
The CNJ names must be on the remnant of the above ground Broad St. Station building, now used as a lobby for a sports arena named after an insurance company.
 #679183  by CarterB

NY&LB wrote:http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/cedarst.html

Is THIS abandon trolley tunnel related to this discussion?
Yes that was the tunnel that originally took trolleys to the Park St Public Service Terminal Bldg (destroyed in 1981) There was also a connection through to the Newark Subway, which ran/runs to under Penn Station on the old Morris Canal bed. Those were/are the only "underground" rail/trolley terminals in Newark. I assume the sign mentioned in previous post/s was on the front of the above ground Broad St. CNJ terminal.
 #679394  by Ken W2KB

CarterB wrote:
NY&LB wrote:http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/cedarst.html

Is THIS abandon trolley tunnel related to this discussion?
Yes that was the tunnel that originally took trolleys to the Park St Public Service Terminal Bldg (destroyed in 1981) There was also a connection through to the Newark Subway, which ran/runs to under Penn Station on the old Morris Canal bed. Those were/are the only "underground" rail/trolley terminals in Newark. I assume the sign mentioned in previous post/s was on the front of the above ground Broad St. CNJ terminal.
The Terminal Building had trolleys and later buses below ground level and via a three track ramp from Mulberry Street, a multi-track loop on the second floor. The ground level was the passenger concourse with stairs to the platforms above and below.