Railroad Forums 

• Old Cars

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#172117  by Justin B

The other day on an eastbound UP manifest I saw an old tank car that was built in 1955 (and it sure looked like it too!). I was wondering what the age limit is for frieght cars. I know that the old UP/SPFE reefers are getting up there and they are starting to get pulled, but they were built in the mid to late 60's, much newer than this dinosaur that I saw.

#172842  by GN 599

I think the maximum in revenue service is 50 years. I see all kinds of old stuff in M.O.W. service, like a red GN 50ft flat built in 53. Just the other day I saw one of our (BNSF) air dump cars with a build date of 49. Now locomotives, thats a whole different story. We have SD-9s that turned 51 this year, talk about longevity!

#177113  by GN 599

Sunday at work I saw a M.O.W. flat with a 9-40 build date on it.

#177720  by Hoosier Joe

I wonder how old cars in M.O.W.service are allowes to be ? Back when Conrail served my town I also saw cars built in the 1940's and scale test cars made in the 1920's.
 #179243  by crij

Joe,

The FRA or AAR cut-off age only applies to interchange cars. Cars that stay within a rail system is at the descretion of the railroad (MoW, Storage, Museum/Hospital Moves, etc...)

Rich C.