Railroad Forums 

• Old BFTX cars...

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #657589  by DogBert

Anyone know if they're heading to scrap, or just offline?

I spotted a string of them that has been sitting stored on the Bush for the last few months down at the NYNJR interchange (never seen them there before). All were empty and the lead car was bad ordered. In generally they're all well beaten, worn out and tagged up cars...
(example photo if you never seen them: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=189050 )

WM has been shipping it's C&D out via green cubes on flatcar lately, haven't seen one of these older cars in service for awhile now.
 #657825  by emfinite

They used to get at least 5 of them per night at Coastal in Farmingdale (in addition to the regular CDEX coalveyor hoppers) but I haven't seen them in probably 2 years. I haven't seen the REGX cars either lately. Maybe just one every once in a while being delivered to Farmingdale. Those flat-sided hoppers were made from old bulkhead flatcars. Very innovative idea, but I doubt they could haul anything besides C&D and woodchips
 #658259  by DogBert

I saw some REGXs inbound about a week ago. Not sure where they went. There were some bftx's in fresh pond in January, but i haven't seen them on the csx run since around then, or before that.
 #659428  by Scrap em Again

They are still around, but not used too often, usually coastal gets several a week, and the new guy on the central gets about 4 per week. WMX only ships MSW in the green wastepackers.
 #659679  by DogBert

I thought coastal just used the cdex cars? Also didn't realize WM is doing MSW now in those green cubes (thought maybe DSNY was loading those directly over there). WM mustn't be doing too much C&D as the Bush was loaded w/green cubes (maybe 2 dozen) & just 4 bftx's that look like they've been there awhile.
 #662048  by jtunnel

Spotted about 20-24 of them sitting on the material customers siding at the BAT in Bayridge last night (4/16/09) as I was coming off the Belt.
 #663784  by emfinite

Saw some REGX cars in the World Recycling siding on the Central branch yesterday. There was also a empty centerbeam on the track closest to the main.
 #671388  by DogBert

Been around the bushwick area a few times the last few weeks. Waste management is just doing MSW cars these days, and the business seems to be quite busy. The CSX run usually has 10-12 cars per day, every day. The last 4 bftx's left the bush a few weeks back.

I spotted 2 or 3 bftx's in the csx trains as of late, so they're definitely still around. I noticed some blue and black cubes inbound too - who gets those cars? They weren't with the usual cut of green cubes that is at the back of the csx train that goes to the bush.

Speaking of trash cars and cubes - when did the red cube guy in the back of maspeth shut down? Seems like it's been a few months. They used to do what, 5, 10 cars a day? Now it's zero. I wonder who'll take over that siding & unloading area. It's a decent chunk of real estate by nyc standards.
 #671768  by Nova55

Ive seen the blue ones go out to Emjay. Funny you mention the guy in Maspeth, I coulda swore I seen a whole bunch of his cars sitting on the Bay Ridge when I rode it a few weeks back.
 #672798  by DogBert

Perhaps they were shipping out all the containers somewhere. When I walked back there in Janurary, if i recall right, the property was stacked high with cubes, 4 or 5 up. went back there a week or two ago and the whole place is empty except for a few trash dumpers and the 2 forklift type vehicles used for loading the cubes onto the cars.

Gunna try and get down to the BAT later this week & see what's stored at 65th street. Last I looked it was mostly covered hoppers and cefx gons.

Pretty sure i got a photo of a loaded blue bftx going back to the island last week via csx. The car looked like it was sagging in the middle.