Railroad Forums 

• Oklahoma City to Shawnee, OK

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#186163  by union21

It's amazing with the changing of the season; the leaves fall off the trees, and the landscape is so much more defined. I was traveling SE29th Street in Choctaw heading West between Henny and Hiawassee rd when I couldn't believe my eyes. Two sets of railroad trestle Pillars shot out of the ground. Surely, I'm mistaken. Why would two rail lines go between OKC and Shawnee? I stopped my VW Beetle and investigated the find. Sure enough I climbed a hill only to discover on the top was an abandoned right of way elevated. So with this evidence on my brain I went and found a topographical map. There it is. The rail line perfectly surveyed on the map. Why was this here? When was this rail abandoned and removed. Why had I not seen this route before now? I've lived here 4 years and now I find this forgotten mystery. I look forward to borrowing my father in laws Metal Detector and searching these tracks for Spikes and rail iron from another century. If any of yall have info on these tracks please add a post here. I'll let you know what I find.

#186314  by Nicolai3985

I got onto Terraserverusa.com, and searched for 29th Street, Choctaw, OK. I saw your abandoned ROW quickly. Going west, an older portion of the map says this was a Santa Fe line. Any ATSF fans care to take over this answer ?

EDIT - I traced this ROW to Shawnee. Along the way, I saw a line labeled for the Rock Island. Sure enough, when I backed my browser up to OKC and headed north, I soon found another line labeled for the CRI&P. That's your second railroad, I think.

#194590  by squints16

In 1895, the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad Company built the line
from Oklahoma City to Mc Alester, Oklahoma, (120 miles) via Shawnee.

The Choctaw was consolidated into the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Company in 1948.

Not sure when the line was abandoned.

#216276  by yardclerk

This is probably the abandoned roadbed of the Oklahoma City Ada & Atoka Railroad. It was taken over by the Santa Fe Railroad sometime in the past.

It was abandoned in 1968, I believe. After the abandonment, the Santa Fe's Ada Local ran over the Rock Island to Shawnee.

Yardclerk