Railroad Forums 

• Oil trains to Perth Amboy???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1070767  by Jtgshu

This is an interesting article i came across...

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/20 ... et_ne.html
Buckeye’s plan is driven by changing dynamics in crude oil markets—while supplies are tight on the East Coast, a glut of oil exists in the western United States thanks in part to increased production of "Bakken’’ shale oil from Montana, the Dakotas and Canada. That makes it profitable for Buckeye to transport crude Bakken shale oil by train, and other oil supplies by boat from a hub in the Bahamas.
Where is this refinery exactly? Im assuming its on State St. inbetween PA and Cartertet? Just thinking of a possible routing of an oil train....probably similar to the ethanol trains id guess.
 #1070795  by CJPat

That facility appears to be about a 1/4 mile north of the Rt 440 Outer Bridge Crossing. I believe State Street and Chemical Coast Line runs either right thru the facility or immediately adjacent (I think the Storage tanks on the west side of the Coast Line are considered part of this facility.
 #1070873  by ccutler

Interesting...maybe Conrail Shared Assets will want to relay the LV Perth Amboy Branch to help handle the increasing energy traffic and free up the Port Reading branch for intermodal. Just dreaming...
 #1070878  by David Hutchinson

Maybe this has something to do with the Port Reading Branch recently having signals installed. See other Post re: Signals on Port Reading Branch. Guess it will really mean something if an extension is built at PD to divert Branch trains south over the Chemical Coast.
 #1070881  by SecaucusJunction

Good news indeed. CP might be sorry they pulled out of North Jersey after all. Currently, this company has an 80,000 barrel per day capacity. If that gets expanded at all, we could easily be talking about multiple unit trains per day.

Info found here. http://industryabout.com/north-america/ ... l-refinery
 #1070896  by Ken W2KB

CJPat wrote:That facility appears to be about a 1/4 mile north of the Rt 440 Outer Bridge Crossing. I believe State Street and Chemical Coast Line runs either right thru the facility or immediately adjacent (I think the Storage tanks on the west side of the Coast Line are considered part of this facility.
>>Outer Bridge Crossing<< I never can resist saying this: It's the "Outerbridge Crossing" named after the first chairman of the Port Authority, Eugenius Outerbridge. They named it "crossing" since "Outerbridge Bridge" would sound weird.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenius_H ... uterbridge
 #1070919  by CJPat

Thank You, Ken. I stand corrected. But for the record, naming a bridge after a guy named Eugenius Outerbridge sounds wierd anyway.
 #1070924  by Ken W2KB

CJPat wrote:Thank You, Ken. I stand corrected. But for the record, naming a bridge after a guy named Eugenius Outerbridge sounds wierd anyway.
Ha. I almost did include the words "even more" before weird. But out of respect for a name. ;-) First heard the tale when I was in college and got an engineering intern job with the Port Authority. They said the Outerbridge Crossing was the most misunderstood followed by the Holland Tunnel which many people think is named such because of the Dutch heritage of NY & NJ, not the chief engineer for whom it was named.
 #1070960  by wolfboy8171981

SecaucusJunction wrote:Good news indeed. CP might be sorry they pulled out of North Jersey after all. Currently, this company has an 80,000 barrel per day capacity. If that gets expanded at all, we could easily be talking about multiple unit trains per day.

Unless the CP was going to lay its own track from Oak Island to Perth Amboy they would NEVER have the rights to this traffic.

There has also been talk of crude oil to Bayway as well.
 #1070985  by blockline4180

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:Good news indeed. CP might be sorry they pulled out of North Jersey after all. Currently, this company has an 80,000 barrel per day capacity. If that gets expanded at all, we could easily be talking about multiple unit trains per day.

Unless the CP was going to lay its own track from Oak Island to Perth Amboy they would NEVER have the rights to this traffic.

I agree, I can't in my right mind figure out why NS or CSX would allow CP to have rights to this oil stuff, whether it goes to Bayway or not!! CP is now out of the New York market as far as I can tell!
 #1071039  by wolfboy8171981

blockline4180 wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:

I agree, I can't in my right mind figure out why NS or CSX would allow CP to have rights to this oil stuff, whether it goes to Bayway or not!! CP is now out of the New York market as far as I can tell!
There seems to be some confusion here about the CP. The orginal D&H agreement gave them (D&H) trackage rights into Oak Island yard. At Oak Island they lease a portion of the yard for their operation. The D&H is free to use that space for themselves, but only themselves. They cannot sublease the land to a third party. So the only traffic you see on the D&H train is its own traffic at Oak Island. This agreement was sold with the D&H to the CP. CP interchanges CSAO traffic at Allentown with the NS. If you want to discuss the merritts of the orginal D&H agreement you can contact me in a PM.
 #1071115  by SecaucusJunction

Good info. Was thinking they could interchange with CSAO at Oak Island but I guess that is not the case.

Anyway, it is good to see that these refineries are looking to domestic suppliers instead of being reliant on imports. Does anyone know a time frame of when something like this might be accomplished? Railroading in NJ seems to be getting more and more profitable as time goes on and we could use all the jobs we can get!
 #1071140  by Jtgshu

Ohhhhh its that place inbetween the Coast Line and Chem Coast. That had 2 points of access from the Coast Line, one from the track that used to go under the Chem Coast and another on the far RR east end of the plant. I doubt any of them would be rebuilt, and they would use the connection with the Chem Coast, but it would be nice! haha Over the past few years, they have torn down some storage tanks that were closer to the Coast Line and removed the associated piping. But there is a LOT of land there, I wonder/hope if they would build more storage tanks.

Now we just need the PA Steel Plant to open back up and things would be really looking up RR freight wise in that area!