Railroad Forums 

• Oil Trains (RJMA / MARJ, OI-x, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1049059  by MEC407

Video of the oil train at MP 189 (Falmouth Rd, Portland): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlIyhqFadQ

Question for the historians: has BNSF power ever made it all the way to Rigby? If it has, I assume it's never gone east of Rigby, correct? I seem to recall that CSX power has made it to Waterville at least once; still a rarity, but not nearly as rare as BNSF.
 #1049070  by cpf354

Actually the video is at Route 9 in Cumberland Center (recognize it as such), which is MP 187. If up to a short time ago someone had told me a CSX, BNSF powered unit oil train going to New Brunswick would pass through there, I would have scoffed mightily. It goes to show that anything is possible in railroading today, and it is almost always what you least expect.
I cannot recall any foreign Class 1 power running east of Rigby, ever, but that for sure does not mean it hasn't happened, CSX would be the best guess if it did. It will be interesting to see how far this lash-up will go!
 #1049072  by MEC407

Thanks for the correction/clarification on the location. I'm not too familiar with that area; I assumed it was Falmouth Road based on the photographer's caption that mentioned MP 189.

Regarding Class I foreign power east of Rigby: a CP SD40-2 went to Waterville a few years ago, but it wasn't running (it was damaged at East Deerfield and went to Waterville for repairs)... does that count? :-)

http://mec407.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=307920

http://mec407.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... ?id=307922
 #1049089  by MEC407

I don't see how they could, unless PAR has recently lifted their ban on six-axle units east of Northern Maine Junction.

It was mentioned somewhere else (can't remember where I saw it) that they might break this train into two or three smaller trains at Waterville so that PAR and NBSR will be able to handle it the rest of the way with their own four-axle power. I don't know if that's fact or just speculation, but it would make a lot of sense.
 #1049100  by boatsmate

The Reason the B&A has Weight restrictions over the line is because of the hills mostly. there are 2 steep grades, and if the train is too heavy it can't make the grade out of Selkirk(forget theof the hill) the trains would get stuck all the time and they would have to send pushers out of Selkirk. hence the restrictions.
 #1049113  by KSmitty

Aside from locomotives that broke, I dont know of any foreign power thats made it this far north. The exception being of course NBSR and BAR/MMAlocomotives travelling to or from home rails. Certainly a rare sighting either way, tho if this test went well, hopefully something we will see again!
 #1049196  by KSmitty

The "box" was actually a covered hopper of some sort, I think. I didnt see a side door anywhere on it, but my attention was focused a bit ahead of it. Its a spacer car which is legally required between locomotives and tanks cars carrying anything flammable.