Railroad Forums 

• Oil Trains for Bayway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1314409  by CLamb

There is a thread on oil trains for Southern N.J. which has a few old posts on this topic but I think it deserves a topic of its own. Is the Philips 66 facility the only operating refinery there? I believe the other refineries are just terminals now. Is Philips 66 the only one receiving crude? Which rail routes are being used? I'm curious because the proposed Pilgrim Pipeline is in the news now which would take away much of this market if built.
 #1314448  by SecaucusJunction

Trains come on NS via Philipsburg and Bound Brook. I think the Pilgrim Pipeline would have a much greater effect on the oil being barged from Albany.
 #1315046  by pumpers

some more Phillips info:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=157025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It all comes in via Allentown and the NS Lehigh Line on NS from out west, then on the Port Reading line to the Chemical Coast. Perhaps one or two a week from what I can make out on other forums. The CSX oil which comes down the River line from Selkirk to NJ (a few a day) runs west on the Conrail Lehigh line and then south/west on CSX from Manville to the Philadelphia/South Jersey area.

But with the drastic drop in crude oil prices lately, all bets are off for what might happen next, I would assume.
JS

PS. By "oil trains for Bayway", do you mean for the Phillips operation, or the old Esso Bayway refinery on the other side of the NJ Turnpike (I don't know who owns them now),or someone else in the area. Frankly, I don't know if there are or were plans for more than the Phillips operation. Getting big trains to Esso Bayway west of the turnpike might be hard, but probably they have some pipelines over the the Linden area (they do have pipelines to the Arthur Kill I am fairly sure) near where Phillips is where it would be easier to unload.
 #1315560  by CNJ Fan 4evr

pumpers wrote:some more Phillips info:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&t=157025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It all comes in via Allentown and the NS Lehigh Line on NS from out west, then on the Port Reading line to the Chemical Coast. Perhaps one or two a week from what I can make out on other forums. The CSX oil which comes down the River line from Selkirk to NJ (a few a day) runs west on the Conrail Lehigh line and then south/west on CSX from Manville to the Philadelphia/South Jersey area.

But with the drastic drop in crude oil prices lately, all bets are off for what might happen next, I would assume.
JS
That drop won't last. Oil is the opposite of everything else. What goes down MUST go up!!!! :(
 #1315660  by kilroy

I believe the topic is referring to the fairly new (within the last 12 months) racks by the end of the runway of Linden Airport. It is served by NS. There have been a few heritage units in as well as UP and BNSF that I've seen. Tough to photograph. You need to catch them crossing Edgar Road coming off the Chemical Coast or alongside Walmart.
 #1315679  by pumpers

Yes, that's the Phillips 66 operation. I think NS 66Z hauls the tanks in, and 67Z takes out the empties. I haven't been able to find out how often exactly, I think 1 or 2 a week but not sure. JS
 #1315801  by BigDell

Tough to photograph. You need to catch them crossing Edgar Road coming off the Chemical Coast or alongside Walmart.
Amen to that. Spent some "Walmart parking lot time" trying to catch some action. Always lots of stuff parked, not often in motion.
Would love to get some photos and video at that location.

It was fun to park by the Home Depot nearby and watch the small planes do touch-and-go landings though.
 #1317103  by kilroy

Sorry, I just stay with the old names. Just like at work, it's manny hanny, chemical bank and Morgan guarantee. No confusion using the old names.
 #1387113  by bigblue5277

LocoCam wrote:Chemical Coast is dead, Long live the Garden State Secondary!
You couldn't find a more appropriate name than the "Chemical Coast" for a rail line which serves refineries, parallels the turnpike and cuts through salt water marshlands. Calling it the "Garden State" Secondary is tantamount to making fun of the state's nickname.
 #1388136  by BigDell

I love scouting the Chemical Coast (It'll ALWAYS be the Chemical Coast to me...). Hard to find good spots. I actually pulled over on the Turnpike once near a colorful group of parked engines (there really was a legitimate reason) and the potential is wonderful). Tough to find good spots to take photos, but when cruising the NJTP from Carteret to Elizabeth it's great....