Railroad Forums 

• Oil refineries in Cleveland and the LS&MS

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1315029  by NKP1155

The Drake well came in in 1859 and the oil boom commenced. Cleveland became a great oil refinery location. There were 35 or more refineries in the Forest City in 1872. Rockefeller bought most of them in that year. Prior to the buyouts, Standard Oil cut a deal with the PRR, Erie and Vanderbilt to split this traffic. It was not until June of 1880 that the Erie converted from 6' to standard gauge. In those 8 years, as far as I know, the big Rockefeller refinery was on the Erie around E 37th St. Even though the Valley (and later Nickel Plate) passed right by, only the Erie had sidings into the plant.

My question is how did the LS&MS move crude to, and receive refined product from, the refinery on the broad gauge Erie? Or, did Rockefeller have other refineries on the LS&MS in Cleveland? Once the Erie was standard gauge, how was interchange performed. was the Big 4 line used under a trackage rights agreement?
 #1315031  by CarterB

"Three trunk lines competed for the business by 1872 — the Pennsylvania, which had leased the Philadelphia and Erie, the Erie and the Central. (The latter road reached the Oil Regions by a branch from Ashtabula on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern division to Oil City; this branch was completed in 1868.)"
source http://www.pagetutor.com/standard/chapt ... .html#e4-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1564501  by urr304

I do not know if anyone is still interested in this subject.

I think the Jamestown & Franklin was extended into Oil City before 1868. Even before then crude oil was only second to locomotive coal which was original intent for line. Until 1871, routing was from Jamestown to Girard PA via the Erie & Pittsburgh. A round trip on the J&F was done on M-W-F, then trip from Jamestown to Girard [where connection to parent Lake Shore] was run on T-TH-Sat.

In 1869, PRR gained control over E&P and limited J&F connection to Lake Shore to original 3 trains a week no matter how much traffic the J&F had. A report of an overloaded train breaking in two then derailing north of Jamestown [RR direction west] on E&P with a large amount of crude oil which caught fire and was a very large event.

After PRR control of E&P, Lake Shore built from Jefferson, OH in almost an unbroken tangent to Jamestown to open up a direct route in late 1871. Just by the way, they decided to build from Andover to Youngstown to compete with the nearly complete PY&A for ore traffic.

I believe that LS&MS became the winner of a large portion of Rockefeller's traffic due to personal connections with Amasa Stone as well as rebates until Standard OIl built first interstate pipeline about 1880 or -81.