• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

Cosmo wrote:
daylight4449 wrote: Keep it up Cosmo. The railfan universe depends on your efforts ;)
All joking aside, the 3025 looks great!
That's because I painted the smokebox. :wink:
You should be proud of your efforts Cosmo. In my book, even if you wind up as a footnote in a restoration project, it's the details of that footnote that acts as a piece of the restoration puzzle. Without all the pieces, you don't have a complete restoration. Maybe they should do a picture with all of the project volunteers posed on the drivers side of 3025 when she's finished. As with the PLA wanting to get into Pleasanton being their icing, and the cherry being able to build a line for their logging engines to run on: The icing is the 3025 and the cherry is the group picture.
  by Otto Vondrak

shadyjay wrote:RE: 3025

Looks more and more like a steam locomotive!

http://theenginehouse.blogspot.com/

I'm guessing before she enters service, she'll be wyed at the 'Junction, correct?

Looks like someone is making an effort to update the blog more than once a year! Much appreciated.

-otto-
  by daylight4449

Now, wasn't the 103 (currently at RMNE) the first engine to operate on the VRR? I'm not exactly clear on that.
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:Now, wasn't the 103 (currently at RMNE) the first engine to operate on the VRR? I'm not exactly clear on that.
In 1971, it and much of the other ESRM equipment was run in a “hospital train” to the Valley Railroad in Essex, and the 103 and two of the cars comprised 75 percent of the Valley’s first train on July 29, 1971. She ran for the remainder of the 1971 season and also during the 1972 season. By that time she was struggling with the longer trains on the Valley and the larger locomotive 97 had returned to service.
http://naugy.blogspot.com/2007/10/103-2 ... lt-by.html
  by ebtmikado

OPENING DAY--Coming soon!

Opening Day for the 2011 season is this Saturday, May 7th. On both days this weekend, the first train of the day will be the Saybrook Special, departing Essex at 10:00 AM to Old Saybrook. On its return, the train will continue north on its regular 11:00 AM departure for North Chester.
For holders of tickets on the 11:00 trains, there is no extra charge for riding the Saybrook Special. Ticket window will open at 9:30 this weekend.

Lee
  by ebtmikado

daylight4449 wrote:3025 is in the home stretch of her restoration! Can't wait to see her :)
It was just announced that during the Days Out with Thomas (May 14,15,21 and 22), the shop will be open
for tours to view progress on 3025.

Lee
  by VALE40

I noticed that 3025's tender is facing Southbound and I'm pretty sure 3025 facing southbound as well. Out of curiosity, is the Valley planning on Wye(ing) the locomotive to turn her so she's Northbound? If so, that'd be a wonderful photo opportunity.
  by Amtrak7

Will be there Aug 6 in the open car. Any estimate of taxi fare OSB Amtrak-Essex?
  by Otto Vondrak

VALE40 wrote:I noticed that 3025's tender is facing Southbound and I'm pretty sure 3025 facing southbound as well. Out of curiosity, is the Valley planning on Wye(ing) the locomotive to turn her so she's Northbound? If so, that'd be a wonderful photo opportunity.
You mean, southbound. You want the locomotive facing south, sun angles favor southbound moves. Normally the steam engines on the Valley Railroad face north.
  by VALE40

Otto Vondrak wrote:
VALE40 wrote:I noticed that 3025's tender is facing Southbound and I'm pretty sure 3025 facing southbound as well. Out of curiosity, is the Valley planning on Wye(ing) the locomotive to turn her so she's Northbound? If so, that'd be a wonderful photo opportunity.
You mean, southbound. You want the locomotive facing south, sun angles favor southbound moves. Normally the steam engines on the Valley Railroad face north.
That makes sense. I guess I should have been more specific with my question... Does the Valley plan on operating 3025 heading northbound like 40 & 97 or do they plan on leaving her front pilot heading south?
  by shadyjay

I think you're both right....

I believe the "wonderful photo opportunity" that VALE40 is referring to is seeing 3025 run south to Saybrook Jct, turn on the wye, while moving on Amtrak briefly between the legs (and past the high level platform), and return north facing north. Meanwhile, Otto would like to see the locomotive remain south to take advantage of alternate photo opportunities, those which haven't been possible since the 1980s, when for some reason, both 40 and 97 faced southward.

Speaking of which, I wonder why that was the case in the early/mid 1980s. With the locomotives facing north, you get a better dramatic effect when the train leaves the station and while chasing along the line. If the locomotive faces south, then while heading northbound, the engineer can't see the proper side of the right of way (signals, whistle posts, etc). I am aware of the present backup move from North Chester south to Deep River and the engineer not being able to see the proper side of the ROW, but at that point, the engine is going on the conductor's eye.