Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#293130  by Otto Vondrak

Regarding info from the old web site... it's not lost and banished forever. "Phase 2" will see that info slowly return to the site. We spent most of this year making sure the site did what it needed to do, and now that we have that straightened out... we can move towards adding more of the information railfans and historians seek.

-otto-
RMNE member #1971, co-developer of the rmne.org site ;-)

#293292  by rb

Trying to unify the threads here. I know the Naugy used to deliver the occasional lube car; are there any other existing customers or prospects for occasional freight service? Like the beer distributor in Torrington...
 #293333  by Zog

We have had inquiry's from potential freight customers. The beer distributor is not one of them. These inquires have gone no where as all these customers would require consistent reliable service. In the Naugy's case it all boils down to who the connection to the outside world is. I rest my case.

#293357  by bwparker1

That sucks for the Naugy, as freight can pay the bills, way more than a measily $10 passenger ticket. You can only hope that the Big G walks off the scene one day, sells to NS, NS spins off the lines through sale or lease and a decent shortline operator can take over the connecting trackage. Maybe the Naugy could operate all the way to the Springfield line!!

Brooks

#293389  by superwarp1

Restoration of either RMNE steam locomotive
There's two, Besides the one at Essex, what is the other one and where is it located?

#293390  by superwarp1

Yep, I know money or in the case of most tourist RR the lack of it talks volumes.
If anyone wants to jump-start the process, write a mid-six figure check, not counting the decimal point. One that won't bounce, preferably.
When I win powerball I'll write the check :wink:

Back to the railroad. When I last visited the Naugy I remember the line was one of the best kept in Ct. 25 MPH was the speed limit. What grade is the track? Is that the right term?
 #293413  by H.F.Malone

Steam locomotives:

RMNE owns Canadian Pacific #1246, a 117-ton 4-6-2 built in 1946. It became part of the Steamtown collection and last operated in Scranton in 1986. It was purchased by RMNE in 1988 and arrived at VRR in 1989. It is on display at Essex.

Also on display at Essex is #103, a 45-ton 2-6-2 built in 1925 for the Sumter & Choctaw RR in Alabama. 103 operated in Middletown NY from 1962 to 1966, and at the Valley RR in Essex from 1971 to 1976. RMNE ownership of 103 dates from 1985.

Track:

NAUG's track is maintained to meet at least FRA Class 2 standards (25 mph freight, 30 mph passenger), and better than that over most of the regularly-operated line. A capable group of volunteers uses both traditional hand tools as well as "yellow machines" (tamper, tie remover/inserter, tie handling crane, rail drill, rail saw, pneumatic spiker, etc.) to handle the tasks. The railroad is inspected at least once a year by the regional FRA track inspector, and CDOT Rail also inspects the line. The line is sprayed for weeds each spring, and brush control takes place about every two-three years.

Most of the main line is NH 107-pound rail, with about 8 miles of 115-pound rail north of Thomaston dam. There are also significant segments of 131-pound rail, across the two major bridges (Chase bridge, about 800 ft of 131, and Jericho bridge, about 1800 ft of 131) and through the grade crossings. The only "light" rail is found in the Waterville passing track; it is mostly NH 74-78-pound, and replacement with NH 107 is planned, eventually. There are no light-rail switches; all are 107 or 115. The new Thomaston shop yard, lead track and switches are constructed with NH 107, and the two shop tracks in the building will be mostly welded 131 lb rail, with some jointed 131.

Anyone interested in "learning track" is invited to join us when we're out on the line doing things. There's a lot more to good track than one might think.

So, what else ya wanna know?

#293443  by superwarp1

So, what else ya wanna know?
I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Anyway

Some of you would think I'm off my rocker, some would say I'm dreaming but hey I like to dream.

Want steam on the Naugy? How about B&M 3713 when it is restored in a few years(maybe). I don't see it getting used much at Steamtown. A trip north to run on New England rails would be a big draw.

Hey, I can dream can't I :P
 #293446  by H.F.Malone

Some other people have reported having that same dream......

Biggest issue would be getting the thing back and forth at a cost that makes sense, economically. 3713 is a bit too big to move on a flatcar or low-boy trailer! But, if does come east of the Hudson River, we'd sure like to host it for a while.

#293455  by superwarp1

Well thanks for the information H.F.

Didn't know the Naugy owned both stean engines on display in Essex. The yard in Essex is going to look bare when you get everthing moved.

I'm sure I'll have questions when I visit in late OCT.

As for 3713 I'll ask the group who is restoring here at the Big E train show in Jan.

#293459  by shadyjay

Since we're dreaming, I'd like to see the ex-CR (nee NH/Virginian) electric 4601 restored and running. Perhaps when CDOT finishes their crazy study of the Waterbury line, they'll electrify the line (don't laugh - I think they are studying this) and there you go - just add wire to Thomaston and you've got the last remaining NH (non-original NH) electric running in territory noone would have dreamed of in the 1960s - and that only a few dream of today.

Yes, we all can dream!

-JH

#293880  by Otto Vondrak

Why don't we keep this conversation rooted in reality for now, and not "dreams." Dreams are fun to talk about, but I'd rather know about the real goings-on at the NAUG.

What's the next stage of restoration for Thomaston Depot?

-otto-

#293924  by superwarp1

Why don't we keep this conversation rooted in reality for now, and not "dreams." Dreams are fun to talk about, but I'd rather know about the real goings-on at the NAUG
Sorry :(

The GP9 needs major work. What kind of work is required and how much?
 #293935  by H.F.Malone

GP9 1732 broke its engine crankshaft a few years ago. We found a mix of 567 and 645 power assemblies had been installed in the engine (by its previous operator), which is a definite no-no according to EMD service people-- it causes rotational imbalances, vibration, etc. Since the engine has to be removed and torn down to change the crank, it was decided to get a useable replacement engine and swap it with the broken one. A replacement diesel engine (16-cylinder EMD 567-C) was obtained, and after the Thomaston shop is useable (perhaps as early as this winter), the "new" engine will be worked over and prepared for installation. The loco will also receive a cosmetic restoration and repaint. The Webb Preservation Grant from Mass Bay RRE was awarded to the 1732 project, and will go a long way toward funding the work. We would very much like to get 1732 back into service.

As part of the acquisition of the replacement diesel engine, two EMD main generators were also purchased and have been stored for future use "just-in-case" (we hope to have them stored for quite a while!)

As for Thomaston Station, a recent grant from Thomaston Savings Bank (the third one from TSB) will cover the cost of replacing the sliding "barn door" that was installed many years ago, with the restored original swinging pair of doors. Some trim painting will be taking place this fall, and a major revision of the interior exhibits and displays is planned for this winter.

The overhead road bridge adjacent to the station (CT Rt 222/US 6/E. Main St) is going to be replaced by CDOT; the work is scheduled to commence in April 2007 and go for 18 months. Needless to say, this may cause some "disruption" in the station area.