Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1613762  by NaugyRR

Interesting, I wonder if it's been shuffled around or buried in the yard out of sight from the road.

It would be nice to see 529 out and about again, I think the last time I saw her operational was while I was in high school.
 #1614184  by CVRA7

Correct - 2201 is a parts source and has supplied its older sister 2203 with a radiator section and a number of other items and 2203 is again listed as in service. Engine block not repairable per the mechanical department.
 #1621999  by Jeff Smith

https://patch.com/connecticut/across-ct ... ain-report
Historic CT Railroad Museum Vandalized Again: Report

THOMASTON, CT — The Railroad Museum of New England in Thomaston was damaged when vandals struck several of the museum's rail cars last week, according to FOX 61. Museum volunteers were getting ready for a tour when they noticed the damage to the rail cars, which included smashed windows on a snowplow and graffiti on some of the equipment.
 #1622133  by NaugyRR

People are bastards
 #1630736  by BandA

Why are they converting from coal, which is domestically produced, to "liquid fuel" which is usually imported unless they are using Ethanol. Coal fumes are nasty but a wood fire smells good and is a renewable resource.
 #1630784  by Douglasphil

Besides the huge effort to convert a relatively modern steamer to wood burning , wood as a locomotive fuel has numerous drawbacks . Low btu output required old time tenders to be equipped with side board extensions and even then old time photos sometimes show cord wood stacked higher than the cab roof . Firewood varies wildly in quality and price and it tends to throw a lot of sparks ! There were reasons the railroads switched to coal a 150 years ago .
 #1631039  by NaugyRR

I think the Disney units burn bio-fuel, that might be what the Naugy is going for here
 #1631048  by MEC407

BandA wrote:Why are they converting from coal, which is domestically produced, to "liquid fuel" which is usually imported...
Most of the diesel fuel and home heating oil we get in the northeast US is sourced from either North Dakota or Canada.

Aside from the initial conversion cost, I would imagine that running a steam locomotive on oil costs a lot less than running it on solid fuel, both in terms of fuel costs and maintenance costs.
 #1631394  by wally

MEC407 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:10 pm Most of the diesel fuel and home heating oil we get in the northeast US is sourced from either North Dakota or Canada.
if it is sourced from canada, it is imported.
 #1631428  by MEC407

Of course, but that's not what most people think of when they hear or use the word "imported."