Railroad Forums 

• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1388212  by MEC407

So THAT's what '80s pop singer Christopher Cross is up to these days!
Attachments:
MI0001686517.jpg
MI0001686517.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
 #1388234  by CannaScrews

Noel Weaver wrote:Have you ever heard of "Naugy Trout"? I know what it was but I am not going to post it here, somebody else can if you know.
Noel Weaver
We have a very good fisherman who catches trout in the Naugatuck River.

But the fish you are referring to is related to the salt-water version, the Coney Island Whitefish.
 #1388263  by Otto Vondrak

rhallock wrote:
H.F.Malone wrote:GE 45-ton loco #42 has a new owner and a new home, west of the Hudson River. It was recently sold and now lives in Kingston, NY at the Catskill Mountain Railroad. Too small for 96% of NAUG's operating needs, so it was time for it to go on to a new life someplace else.
This quote is from late 2014 and the engine is indeed now on the Catskill Mountain RR and has been very valuable on the Kingston trains. Can anyone tell me the history of the # 42? Also worthy of note is a similar GE 45 tonner is also now on the CMRR line at Phoenicia. It is a former Fore River RR engine.
http://naugy.blogspot.com/2007/10/rmne-42.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
45-ton GE industrial Diesel switcher, built 1942 (#15807) for an unknown original owner (apparently the Rohm & Haas Chemical Co., as #RH-1). Purchased used circa 1969 by Stanley Works to replace a fireless steam switcher; the Diesel carried Stanley number 873. Donated 1993 by Cold Metal Products, which acquired a portion of the Stanley facility, including the locomotive. Powered by two 150 hp six-cylinder Cummins Diesel engines, with one traction motor on each truck. Side rods transmit power to the non-motored axle on each truck. The 45-ton units were built to lighter industrial specifications, while the similar GE 44-tonner was designed for heavier commercial railroad service. In 1993, it was repainted orange by RMNE and numbered 42, for the year of construction.
Here's CMRR 42 leading one of the first (and last trains) to Ashokan Reservoir in April 2016:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic ... datetaken/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1388385  by rhallock

Thank you both very much for the info on the #42. We hope she will work on the CMRR again soon. In talking with the gentleman who purchased it and the Fore River one for us, it seems that the Cummins diesel engines powering the 45 tonners are easier to get parts for than those powering the better known 44 tonners, hence his purchases.
 #1388526  by CannaScrews

During the open house yesterday - The Banana Boat TBRX 8537 was doing the southbound run honors. Very comfortable loco - the sun shades make it so you don't have to apply sunscreen on your elbows.

A photo from when it came on the property in case you don't know what it looks like. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4446670
 #1388615  by CVRA7

Thank you Noel for sharing your memories of the last of the good ol' days in Waterbury. The interlocking in Waterville that you mentioned was probably Signal Station C-265 which was located just south of the current Commons Rd crossing near the location of the now-gone Chase Brass office building. The interlocking controlled access by the Connecticut Company trolley freight to the Chase Brass mill over the Naugy. The Conn. Co had a couple of steeple cab small freight motors that hauled freight cars between a couple of Chase plants in the Waterville-Waterbury area up until c. 1936. Signal bases and pipeline pedestal blocks related to the interlocking are still visible in a few locations.
 #1388637  by Noel Weaver

I think Connecticut Company was able to haul freight cars from Waterville to the Chase plant on North Main Street in Waterbury nt too far from North Square. I'll have to dig out some old stuff to verify this one. This is probably why they had an electric freight motor or two in Waterbury during their trolley days.
Noel Weaver
 #1388667  by H.F.Malone

Another item hauled by those freight motors was flour for a large commercial bakery in the area "up the hill" from Waterville.
 #1391152  by Noel Weaver

Naugatuck Railroad undergoing a $1.65 million upgrade. Money will be used to upgrade to 131 pound rail between Frost Bridge Road and Chase Bridge. Also included is 10,000 ties along the 19.6 mile route. Here is a link to a partial article and I was able to read the whole article on my smart phone. It looks like good things might happen here, I sure hope so. Here is the link.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2016/07/ ... 966570.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel Weaver
 #1392482  by daylight4449

CannaScrews wrote:During the open house yesterday - The Banana Boat TBRX 8537 was doing the southbound run honors. Very comfortable loco - the sun shades make it so you don't have to apply sunscreen on your elbows.

A photo from when it came on the property in case you don't know what it looks like. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4446670
Alright, considering I haven't paid any attention... What's a B39 doing down there anyway?
 #1393700  by bwparker1

Frostbridge is open for business.... Here is the text from the announcement:

Cherry Hill Construction is proud to announce the opening of it's new transfer station in Watertown, CT

The Frost Bridge Transfer Station is Now Open

One Of Connecticut's Largest C&D Transfer Stations
Serviced by Railroad

Monday to Friday
6:30 am to 4:30 pm
Saturdays
7:00 am to 12:00 pm

CALL FOR SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY RATES ! ! !

(203) 488-7929 or
(203) 836-6398 (temporary)

* LEED Reporting is available for all of your project management requirements

DIRECTIONS:

Route 8 North Bound:
Exit 37
Straight onto Frost Bridge Road
At stop sign take right
Cross railroad tracks
1st driveway on left

Route 8 Southbound:
Exit 37