Railroad Forums 

• Official Maine Eastern Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1192994  by therudycometh

Not a problem. That's not to say that a connection is not possible in the future - Amtrak and the MERR are both kind of in trial mode as far as schedules and once they are ironed out and Amtrak's schedules are optimized for on-time performance and incorporation of demand, we will revisit the idea of a revised connection schedule. Just remember that this is the first operating season that both railroads will be sharing the Brunswick station, and we are attempting to make sure the service is given the best chance for long-term survival and profitability.
 #1192997  by gokeefe

therudycometh wrote:Not a problem. That's not to say that a connection is not possible in the future - Amtrak and the MERR are both kind of in trial mode as far as schedules and once they are ironed out and Amtrak's schedules are optimized for on-time performance and incorporation of demand, we will revisit the idea of a revised connection schedule. Just remember that this is the first operating season that both railroads will be sharing the Brunswick station, and we are attempting to make sure the service is given the best chance for long-term survival and profitability.
That is very good indeed to hear.

I find it ironic that a station personally described to me by no less than Wayne Davis himself as "more than they'll ever need" already has capacity constraints. I think many people would describe the service extension so far as successful beyond their wildest dreams.

I think we are all extremely hopeful that some kind of accommodation will eventually be reached perhaps to include an interline agreement under the Thruways system. To see Rockland and coastal Maine in the national reservation system as rail destinations would really be a remarkable success.

As always my thanks to you for being here. There are many supporters (and customers) of Maine Eastern in these forums.
 #1193110  by therudycometh

As always my thanks to you for being here. There are many supporters (and customers) of Maine Eastern in these forums.
It's great to see the public support for our railroad, especially voiced in a public forum like this. People that ask the right questions and voice the right concerns are the reason that we can continue to offer improvements and new developments.
Last edited by therudycometh on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1193119  by kilroy

I find it ironic that a station personally described to me by no less than Wayne Davis himself as "more than they'll ever need" already has capacity constraints. I think many people would describe the service extension so far as successful beyond their wildest dreams.
gokeefe, I think the capacity issue is more track than station related. I think the hope in that section of Maine is the Maine Eastern will be able to develop connecting train service once the layover facility in Brunswick is completed and there are additional trips between Brunswick and Boston. The layover facility will also get the Amtrak equipment out of the way so ME can board at the station platform.
 #1193120  by kilroy

gokeefe, I think the capacity issue is more track than station related. I think the hope in that section of Maine is the Maine Eastern will be able to develop connecting train service once the layover facility in Brunswick is completed and there are additional trips between Brunswick and Boston. The layover facility will also get the Amtrak equipment out of the way so ME can board at the station platform.

Sorry - dupe post, the network is really crappy today.
 #1193410  by therudycometh

kilroy wrote:
Correct. There is only one station track, no matter how big and modern the station is.
 #1193967  by Watchman318

therudycometh wrote:Our trains cannot be in the Brunswick station platform 45 minutes before or after the Downeaster's scheduled arrival and departure times.
Ninety minutes "stay away time" in a place that's as heavily signaled as that part of the line now is? Why couldn't MERR just hold back somewhere east of MP 30 until Amtrak had departed, then roll in and gather passengers wishing to continue east of Brunswick by rail? I know it's still possible to make the trip 100% by rail even now, but one round trip per day could mean a helluva wait. :(

Here is the latest from the Free Press: Rockland Train Service Likely to Change by 2014
[Moulton] said the Maine DOT was not ready to bring in a new operator; instead, they want another year to collect and analyze passenger data on the Amtrak Downeaster run from Boston to Brunswick to see if there is sufficient interest to continue running passenger service further up the coast to Rockland.
Analyzing data is a good thing, but meanwhile people who might want to go by rail all the way to Rockland are kinda being left in the lurch.
"How would you like to ride a train all the way to Rockland?"
"Uh, yeah, that was really what I was hoping for when I came here."
"Oh, well; maybe in 2014. Sorry."
 #1198072  by shadyjay

The new site looks good, though I did find one inaccuracy I'll pass along:
Aside from sister FL9 #484, which operates on the Orford Express in Montreal, Quebec, #488 and #489 are the only other remaining FL9s in service anywhere in the world.
The Railroad Museum of New England runs their Naugatuck Railroad excursions using FL-9 #2019 as the regular motive power. They also have #2002 which I believe is "stored serviceable". Their site is http://www.rmne.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
 #1198364  by therudycometh

shadyjay wrote:The new site looks good, though I did find one inaccuracy I'll pass along:
Aside from sister FL9 #484, which operates on the Orford Express in Montreal, Quebec, #488 and #489 are the only other remaining FL9s in service anywhere in the world.
The Railroad Museum of New England runs their Naugatuck Railroad excursions using FL-9 #2019 as the regular motive power. They also have #2002 which I believe is "stored serviceable". Their site is http://www.rmne.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Corrected! Thank you!
 #1198368  by gokeefe

therudycometh wrote:
shadyjay wrote:The new site looks good, though I did find one inaccuracy I'll pass along:
Corrected! Thank you!
Thanks to you Rudy for being so responsive. You're doing a great job and also you're making your employer look great both here and on the new website. It says good things about them that they hired someone with such solid communication skills. Please pass this on to the attention of those you work for.
 #1200192  by therudycometh

gokeefe wrote:
therudycometh wrote:
Corrected! Thank you!
Thanks to you Rudy for being so responsive. You're doing a great job and also you're making your employer look great both here and on the new website. It says good things about them that they hired someone with such solid communication skills. Please pass this on to the attention of those you work for.
Thank you very much for your kind words. It's great to have such a positive response from the public!
 #1200970  by MEC407

"CN in Brunswick, Maine?" Nope, it's Maine Eastern! Nice shot by Dan Comick from February of this year: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=443858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;