Railroad Forums 

• Official Maine Eastern Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#157020  by Richard Glueck

In Rockland this afternoon; FL9's 488-489 in A-A configuration, gorgeous stainless steel train followed by Ob "Alexander Hamilton". Nearby track held ex-L&N Ob "Ohio Lakes" and ex-PRR "Alder Lake". These latter two are generously left in their original colors (what a treat). Also nearby was C424 4228. In the roundhouse was an operable M420.

Ask for permission to look at rolling stock and the personal size you up. Always ask! THere has been vandalism, so be sure they know who you are and where you are. Very friendly people.

#157369  by Al Holleuffer

Just a quick correction on car names here. The ex-L&N office car is the Ohio River and the ex-PRR sleeper lounge is the Adler Falls. Ohio River is the M&E's office car and Alder Falls is owned by Pullman Classics Limited.

#158225  by njt4172

One of the Maine Eastern F40's was missing from Morristown today...Anyone know where it went???

Thanks,
Steve

#158322  by B&ABL256

Just wanted to say I work on the American Eagle a 49 passenger cruise ship and when in Rockland I went foaming and I met the vp of M&E he is a Maritime College grad ( i go there) and let me look around the site and I was treated like a king.
Mike Arnold
Twin Forks Chapter of the NRHS

#159434  by MEC407

This page has some freqs for the Maine Eastern:

http://home.comcast.net/~petlick/me.htm
 #185322  by MEC407

Interesting article about the successes and challenges experienced by the Maine Eastern Railroad:

http://knox.villagesoup.com/business/st ... ryID=63079

#185632  by MickD

Who owns rails between Brunswick&Portland.I thought the state did.Or
is it Guilford property?

#185639  by MEC407

Portland to Brunswick is owned by Guilford. Brunswick to Rockland is owned by the state.

#185943  by MickD

How much freight does Guilford run on this stretch of track.Would it be their advantage to sell it to the state,or is it that busy??

#185962  by shadyjay

Guilford willfully sell a line to the state? That'll be the day!

Any time Guilford has given up any trackage, it has involved the courts and fights and such. The only way that track would be upgraded is if the federal government funds the upgrading of the line, like they did for Amtrak's Downeaster. That was after a 10-year+ battle between Guilford and Amtrak.

In the perfect world, Guilford would not exist. But unfortunetly they do, and until something happens, then we're stuck with the "missing link", and that one train a day (if that) that Guilford runs on the line.

-JH
 #214381  by RS115

In the aftermath of the big storm, 18 made what I assume was a complete roundtrip over the Whippany line running light both ways. I caught it passing both ways by S. Jefferson Road. Morris didn't get hit as badly as points east but there was enough the they kicked up some powder breaking through the plow piles at the crossings. Driving home tonight I crossed both the Chester and High Bridge lines - hadn't been opened up at all. Don't know about the D&R.

Went up to Morristown at lunch time and also saw the NS GP38-2's being fueled on the main. 20 was running in front of the shops. 3 tank cars sitting up on the old interchange tracks.

#217737  by 7 Train

Did it have snowplows at each end? Reminds me of a Thomas episode in which the engines run light with a plow to clear the line after a major storm.
 #219191  by RS115

The ex-Amtrak Geep acquired last fall was out for a 'test drive' on the Whippany line today. Ran light, time-wise they probably went the length of the railroad.

From what I could see from the distance a nice adaption of the Maine Eastern dark green and cream scheme previously seen only on passenger power. Didn't look like all lettering was done. Tucked away in the house by the time I got up there with 18 & 20 out front and the military critter on the side on track 3. No sign of 19 - maybe it's inside as well.

A