Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#889886  by IrideNHline

I would nominate that the set of cars parked just outside the Stamford yard on the far northbound tracks (closest to the water) just by the highway underpass will be retired first. Currently they suffice as graffiti practice for the local slum.
 #890129  by Jeff Smith

Wayside Observer wrote:Rushing things a bit? The retirement of the active M2s won't happen until a lot of the M8s are accepted and in service.
Really? No duh. <intended sarcasm>

Read my post; I alluded to the fact that I was jumping the gun. I was priming the pump with the fact that there are developments concerning plans for scrapping.

What do you define as "a lot"? We all know it won't be a one-for-one M-8 in-service M-2 retired exchange. That's alluded to in the articles (fewer seats and fleet expansion) that have been posted here and elsewhere.

What is your issue? This isn't the first thread you've done this.
 #890347  by Wayside Observer

I've heard it will take 100 M8s in service to allow for the scrapping of the M2s to begin. I can't wait until the sh*itty M2s meet their end. They've all but fallen apart these last 10 days and are literally on life support. So much for MN's lofty claims about how reliable they are!!! I should know, I was stuck on a cold car on a train that broke down today for over a hour. And the train that rescued us also had cold cars.
 #890352  by Clean Cab

Wayside Observer wrote: I can't wait until the sh*itty M2s meet their end. They've all but fallen apart these last 10 days and are literally on life support. So much for MN's lofty claims about how reliable they are!!! I should know, I was stuck on a cold car on a train that broke down today for over a hour. And the train that rescued us also had cold cars.
Like that's news to any of us? Try operating them like I have to. We all know that the M2s are shot. No one is denying that. The CSR overhaul program did what it could with limited funds and a primative operating system. If it wasn't for the CSR program, it'd be MUCH worse than it is now. Hopefully this will be the last winter the M2s face. All this snow and recent bitter cold temperatures has all but crippled the NH line fleet, but it's been through worse and things will get better soon.
 #890366  by Darien Red Sox

I remember an engineer telling his student engineer that it is normal for New Haven equipment when the warning lights are lit up like Christmas trees, and that having a dead pair in the constant was almost an everyday occurrence.
Today my train was both cold and two cars short. A report was issued by the MTA about this morning's delays part of it being "6 trains became disabled because of weather-related problems."
 #890417  by Clean Cab

Most New Haven Line engineers are quite used to seeing those two red lights just above the air gage. They indicate a "Dead Car" and a "Fault". Dead Car means one or more car has no dynamic braking. a Fault light indicates either a traction loss in one or more cars, or in older M2s a heating system fault. It is indeed rare when a train does not have one or both of these lights lit.
 #890522  by Darien Red Sox

Delays were posted again today due to a disabled train in Greens Farms. Is there an updated count how many cars are out of service?
 #890526  by DutchRailnut

yes there is, but some forum members got paranoid about leaking this information.
so you will have to wait for official press release, or M-8's whatever comes first ;-)
 #890557  by Clean Cab

I can think of only one time MN released the number of out of service M2s. That was after the Blizzard of 1996 when over 130 M2's, M4's and even M6's were crippled by the over two feet of snow resulting in many train cancelations and combinations. Some M2's were so badly damaged they were sent to Morrison-Knudeson for exstensive rebuilding.
 #892092  by Darien Red Sox

Unofficial number of cars out of service is 102 according to Clever Commute.
 #892099  by Jeff Smith

Ouch. That's 43.4% (using 235 as the denominator) of the M-2 fleet. I wonder how many will never make it through the shop, considering the afore-mentioned number of 100 M-8's in service for retirement to officially begin.
 #892328  by RearOfSignal

Unusual to see a bomb coach coupled to M-series equipment. This equipment was towed down from Stamford early this afternoon, think the 101 was leading.
 #892329  by Train2009

RearOfSignal wrote:Unusual to see a bomb coach coupled to M-series equipment. This equipment was towed down from Stamford early this afternoon, think the 101 was leading.
It was AMMO #106...I spotted #106 headed back to Mo from Harmon at 3:55 PM in Tarrytown.