Railroad Forums 

• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#846742  by Ken W2KB

bigjim4life wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:BR&W #60 has passed its FRA Hydro test. No in service date has been announced yet.
Will you be letting us know (please?) beforehand (please please) when/if 60 will be doing freight runs? :) Specifics on when/where too? :-D :-D
As of this morning the expectation is that the freight runs will start in a couple of weeks. Nothing firm as yet. New volunteers for maintenance and operating positions (and anything else of interest) are always welcomed by the Trust. http://www.brrht.org/about.html
Last edited by Ken W2KB on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #846743  by Ken W2KB

pierrerabbit wrote:What were you guys up to yesterday afternoon? I saw the 1202 with a flat car and hack up by Copper Hill, and saw Frank the photographer down by the bridge. My first thought was maybe a "60" trial run....
Operating and MOW qualified volunteers cutting brush and felling danger trees. All the way from Ringoes to Three Bridges. There were places that engine crews had to "raise shields" (close cab windows) to avoid a slap in the face. :wink: A lot more brush clearing is needed but the worst of it was addressed.
 #846800  by pierrerabbit

I wish I could have been there to help. I took a job here in Flemington selling cars (Mazda), so helping on Friday or Saturday is out. And on Sundays I am busy with family. Which leaves me with my other day off, Wednesday, so if there's anything that needs to be done mid week, I can help out.

Peter
 #846971  by Ken W2KB

pierrerabbit wrote:I wish I could have been there to help. I took a job here in Flemington selling cars (Mazda), so helping on Friday or Saturday is out. And on Sundays I am busy with family. Which leaves me with my other day off, Wednesday, so if there's anything that needs to be done mid week, I can help out.

Peter
There are plenty of projects. Restoration of the CNJ baggage car as an museum/exhibit car, the other baggage car as a workshop, the Mack critter switcher cosmetically, the recently arrived CNJ 1009 coach to put into service, publicity, and the list goes on . . .

---Ken
 #849304  by wolfboy8171981

bigjim4life wrote:Oh - I thought they were normally on Sundays - unless I'm wrong. Am I?
Nothing is ever normal on the Railroad. It all depends on the crews and the days the prefer to run. Most of the time its Saturdays, but a few people like to run on Sundays. Sometimes its late Friday afternoon. I went out two weeks ago at 430pm on Sunday after the regular excursion runs. Freight runs on Wednesdays as a scheduled train #20 departing Ringoes at 730am and returns as Train #21 no sooner than 1hr 30 minutes after train #20 departs

If i'm allowed to let you know when 60 will be used on freight I will. Word is it will be used on shakedown runs sometime before Thanksgiving. At this time I do not know if it will be weekend or weekdays. Then she will be drained over the winter, and used on a limited basis in 2011 ( not every day of every weekend as in the past) as we get our crews requalified that havent been over to P'burg.
 #850768  by PVRX1

Freight will be Saturday this week, with the crew on duty in Ringoes, normal weekend time of 8-830ish. They will work backwards though. Car to Three Bridges, run TB to Ringoes and return to TB. 752 for power.

There will also be a run after H76 arrives tomorrow afternoon to deliver a very hot car for Bemis Corp.
 #852212  by Ken W2KB

Corn maze shuttle trains from Ringoes starting this Saturday, Sep. 25th. Consist will be 1202 or 752 plus the CNJ combine, Scott's PRR flatcar and the BR&W hack. I'll be flagging at Toad Lane should anyone care to say hello.
 #853963  by OCtrainguy

Ken W2KB wrote:Corn maze shuttle trains from Ringoes starting this Saturday, Sep. 25th. Consist will be 1202 or 752 plus the CNJ combine, Scott's PRR flatcar and the BR&W hack. I'll be flagging at Toad Lane should anyone care to say hello.
Making plans to go out there tomorrow afternoon for the train ride, corn maze and some pumpkins. Weather is looking good for tomorrow. My daughter is excited to go. Sundays are tough as my son has soccer games each Sunday through late November, and are all scheduled for early to mid afternoon, so Saturdays work best for us..
 #854503  by OCtrainguy

I did head out to the BR&W yesterday afternoon and had an enjoyable time. Though it was a bit too warm for my liking this late in September, the corn maze was fun and a few of the checkpoints were tricky to find. We had a lot of fun in the corn maze and the kids enjoyed picking their pumpkins as well. A real nice way to spend our Saturday afternoon and early evening.