Railroad Forums 

• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#811002  by Mike77E9

I think I saw on their website an RFP (Request for Proposal) to do some repairs to the bridge. They don't seem to be there anymore.
 #813067  by Ken W2KB

Saturday Night Special trains start this Saturday, June 5th. Ringoes to Flemington PRR and CNJ stations, layover for dinner at your favorite restaurant, or other activities, etc. and thence return to Ringoes.

Details: http://www.brrht.org/eventSaturdayNightSpecial.html
 #815869  by Ken W2KB

Photo Special - part of military weekend

Join us on July 10 (rain date July 17) for a rare evening photo-special! This train will feature photo runbys using historic railroad equipment from the BR&W and Pennsy Railcar Restorations. Also staged at runby locations will be re-enactors and vintage military equipment provided by Central Jersey Military Motorpool! Military re-enactors will also be on board the train and will participate in on-board photo ops during the return trip to Flemington. Photos will also be available at Ringoes, time permitting. This is a rare photography opportunity you don't want to miss! Children age 3-12 $10. Ages 12+ $20. Advance reservations are required. Bottled water and soft drinks will be available on board the train for a nominal charge to benefit the BRRHT. Seating is limited on this unique train - purchase tickets at our online store today! Purchase Tickets Today!

http://www.BRRHT.org

#816120  by CJPat

Man! That hurts when you say:
and vintage military equipment provided by Central Jersey Military Motorpool!
I had that 5T and those Dueces in my motorpool up until they demobilized us in '94. If that is "vintage" equipment, that can only imply that I am "vintage" too. :(
 #826737  by Ken W2KB

The photo train with the classic military vehicles and soldiers in WWII and Viet Nam uniforms was great. A couple of static poses, and a couple of runbys. Good time had by all.

Tomorrow, Sunday July 11th the classic military vehicles are expected to be again on display at Ringoes Station.
 #828730  by wolfboy8171981

Glad everyone had a good time last weekend, unfortunally I was unable to attend.

Switching gears. CNJ coach #1009 is FINALLY on BR&W rails. She was trucked from P'Burg to Flemington on Wednesday.
 #828926  by MShea

Here are some pictures of the move, all compliments of Jerry Jagger.

More pictures are on the Trust's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Flemin ... ajaxpipe=1
1009_9.jpg
1009_9.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
1009_11.jpg
1009_11.jpg (89.08 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
1009_1.jpg
1009_1.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
 #828946  by Jtgshu

Wow, I love the orignal paint and the car looks to be in great shape! congrats on finally getting it down there!
 #829146  by CJPat

Those are the cars I remember riding on in the '70's from Cranford. Were they the ones that were built in the '20s? How did that car get stranded that it required trucking to get it out of there? Or is it simply that too much work was required to make it "roadworthy/acceptable"?
 #829484  by Ken W2KB

CJPat wrote:Those are the cars I remember riding on in the '70's from Cranford. Were they the ones that were built in the '20s? How did that car get stranded that it required trucking to get it out of there? Or is it simply that too much work was required to make it "roadworthy/acceptable"?
They were built for the CNJ in the 1920's. We operate a similar combine and club car (former coach) so this will enable running a 3 car CNJ consist from time to time. The car has friction bearing journals and sharon couplers, as do the other two cars. Some years ago when this car was acquired NS commenced the move from Pennsylvania to Three Bridges. When the car got to near Phillipsburg,, NS discovered the journals and couplers and set it out there. NS (and most other large roads) will not allow movement with those journals and couplers. So the car was stranded. Until finally this move by truck. It will be restored to service by the BRRHT. New members wanting to work on the restoration of this car or any other aspect of railroading are always welcome.