Railroad Forums 

• Official Bel-Del Discussion Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#771063  by NYS&W142Fan

Work went well today at the Baer Shop. Gary had the road in open and today we plowed the area so we have parking and two cars can pass. We removed the valves on the Steam chest for servicing and cleaned out the smoke box among other things. Gary will be continuing the work tomorrow. We still need to prep the "new" Bi-Level for use this year. Can't wait till Spring to get running again!
 #771291  by bigjim4life

Hey - with the 2010 season coming up - I had a question about something I'm confused about. I've seen some posts on other sites that say there are not a lot of places to railfan on the Bel-Del - I've seen other videos and photos of numerous run-bys, pacing shots, etc on both paved/dirt roads/paths, etc. What is the story here? I'm attaching a file with a "map" of the rr, as best as I can tell from Google Earth - but the tracks seem to go much further south than what the railroad runs. Can someone point out to me on here where the excursion ends (or will end in 2010)? That will greatly help!

http://yfrog.com/cadrrmapjpgj
 #771330  by NYS&W142Fan

bigjim4life,
Currently we run 5-1/2 miles south of P'burg where we stop and push back, just South of Edingers Crossing on River Road. There are a number of places where you can railfan. Some require a lot of walking and some you can sit in your car. IF you want to railfan some of the less accessable areas, I would ask at the Ticket Office if it would be ok to walk down the RofW. We normally do not say anything to anyone walking and taking Pictures, but is never hurts to ask. Also if you drive down Carpentersville road, it crosses the tracks twice and down by where the Susquehanna Mine is is a good rolling area to get shots of 142 on the run as the tracks run right along the road there and a little bit further South where we stop. As we get more funds we are planning on extending the run further South. The tracks are in place to just South of Milford.

If you want to PM me I can give you more information or go to the WebSite http://www.877trainride.com and go to the Presidents page and ask him, he'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
 #773104  by Donko142

Detail for the 2010 track work and a 2010 fund raiser will be coming soon, some other large visible improvements will also be arriving shortly. Work in the shop will be on going this Fri- Sun, all three days on the boiler in 142, plus Sat a small group will be working on motor for the GE.

Be Safe & have a good weekend
 #774025  by Donko142

2-20-10

Today was a very good day at the Baer Shop with lots of work going on, as it should be in a shop. Gary, Wayne, John, Kurt, Don and Devin where working on the 142, most of the work was in the boiler today. John was also able to pick up 2 55 gal drums of donated coal for the shop stove giving us a nice stock pile.
Wanye J. took advantage of the sun and did a service on the Back-hoe. The Hoe will be being used heavly in a few weeks when the weather breaks and we start on the ROW clean up.
Keith and myself worked on the GE, I got to place my hands on all the new engine parts for the first time. We were able to get the cam out and get all the gears and the crank turning freely. All the bolts are out and the engine is ready to be pulled out and be sent to the engine builder for hot tanking. We spent a few hours getting the orig hand brake working in good order again and let her run for a few hours. You saw what happened in our GE shop when it was 20 degrees out with the temp in the shop. Today being in the mid 40's the shop was over 100 degrees in less then an hour, we turned the little heater off and it was still 65 two hrs later. We also started moving the project into the cab area as the motor is about as far as we can take it till the snow melts.

Watch pictures to follow.
 #774293  by Donko142

Just alittle follow up from Saturday, they say a pictures worth a 1000 words. I feel the same way and like to see picture of what's going on. Anyway as posted this pic is of myself pulling the cam from the cummins, if you look close you can still see the green paint between the cam lobes, more evidence of the minimal time the engine had after being rebuilt. The engine is down to the block and ready to get pulled out for a trip to the engine shop, we have aquired about 85 % of the parts needed to put her back together, rebuilt top to bottom. I'm so thankful for all the help I have received from some many people in the group on this overhelming ( at times ) project. Members had put time, effort and even there personal money into the GE just to see her on home rails running. THANK YOU ALL !!!

Another example of a member really steping up. Wanye Jennings worked outside all day servicing the back hoe. In a few weeks we could have many ROW projects underway. A track project to rebuild more railroad to the south of our currect stop ( AGAIN, Year after year. ) We have lots of ROW clearing to do, the back hoe and chipper will be getting some use to say the least.

Next, talk about cool !!!! Could you imagine if they had this thing in shops in the steam days. Just like a doctor going into your heart for a look. CMO Gary Mathews is looking at stay bolts 4 feet up on the side sheet. If you notice in the pic you can see the video screen, see the stay bolt in the screen. ( sorry my flash made it hard to see ) Gary can inspect every stay bolt on the box if he wanted, what a tool !

Like always be safe, enjoy your week.
 #775773  by Donko142

Well due to obvious reasons the outdoor projects, like the open car and the ROW clean up are being put off for a few weeks. Work in the baer Shop in will on going as always Friday to Monday. Due to the snow the 45 tonner and the 142 is what we can work on at the moment. The M-1 is going to get hit hard with a 5-7 day marathon to get her to the Bel-Del.

For those of you who don't understand the in's and out's of a steam locomotive here's an inside look from the boiler.
You are looking towards the front flue sheet, the large tubes you are seeing are the Superheater tubes, the smaller one's under them are the 96 regular flue's in this boiler. This is evidence of a good boiler treatment program, notice the tubes have very little scale on them even after years of regular use. The large pipe in the top is the dry pipe. This takes steam from the throttle (on top of us in the steam dome) and deliver's it to the superheater header. This runs the steam through the superheaters, back to the header, then to the steam chests. Notice the many braces on the front tube sheet.
 #777158  by Donko142

As of 2-28-10 CMO Gary Mathews has made the call to replace all 96 boiler tubes. This is a fine example of Gary's opinion of perventive maintance. Could the tubes go a little longer and be safe, of course. But after multiple tests the larger super heater tubes were found to be in mint cond, however the 96 smaller regular flues were not as perfect. As of today Gary's already has 30 plus flues out of the boiler.
This picture was taking looking to the rear of the boiler at the firebox. This is a great shot, one can see the hundreds of stay bolts that hold a firebox in place. The pipe at the top goes to the main turret. Steam is taken from the steam dome and delivered to the turret, this steam powers the Turbo, Air pump, Injectors, Firebox doors and so on.

Remember always be safe.
 #780948  by Donko142

So far so good, the shop crew has removed 90% of the flues. This will be complete by Sat and the new flues will be ordered.
Some new improvements to the ride will be announced shortly. This weekend will find a crew working on the steamer Friday and Saturday at the Baer shop. Sunday crews will be working on the GE at the Baer Shop and the M1 and the Butler Shop.

Another example of people stepping up ! Due to no fault of there own the BRWT purchased a Ex DL&W car from Steamtown years ago. 1/2 way to the Black River, NS realized it didn't have roller bearings and drop it off on the Bel-Del (1/2 way through the move) to get rid of it quick, basically giving the car a less then a good chance of getting restored. The car has had little or no care in the last few years and the BRWT guys are in between a rock and a hard place with the car. Roller bearing trucks or ship by truck with cranes, both big $$$. This car has nothing to do with the NYSW, we don't own it or use it. Last weekend a few volunteers stepped up and said I don't care who owns it or who's going to own it one day, it's a piece of local railroad history lets do what we can to help save it. Keith got wood and cut it to size covering the broken windows in order to keep the snow and rain out. THS volunteers working on saving equipment that isn't ours. The THS suppling material at no charge for the job.
Hell, I thought that was a great example of what were about and the kind of people we are down here on the Bel del.

Be safe
Last edited by Donko142 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #783201  by Donko142

The weekend went well for the group. The steam team removed the last of the flues on Friday. Work was on going at the Baer Shop on Saturday. On Sunday a group worked on the M-1 in Butler for the day. The M-1 is receiving a good amount of air brake work and should be on the Bel-Del sometime in May. All 8 brake cylinders have been removed and rebuilt, plus all of the many air hoses under the car body and in the trucks and also being replaced as well. Check back pictures to follow tomorrow.
Notice all the new air houses for the truck on the front, as I posted all the air hoses are getting replaced. Kurt, Devin and Jesse where working as a team all day on this truck. reinstalling cylinders and hoses.

CMO Gary Matthews is putting brake cylinder # 3 back together after it was cleaned and gaskets and seals were replaced.

Like always looking for more help, the 2010 season is going to be starting soon and some new large additions to our fleet will be on hand this month. More to come !
Last edited by Donko142 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #783340  by wolfboy8171981

Donko142 wrote:So
Another example of people stepping up ! Due to no fault of there own the BRWT purchased a Ex DL&W car from steamtown years ago. 1/2 way to the Black River, NS realized it didn't have roller bearings and drop it off on the Bel-Del (1/2 way through the move) to get rid of it quick, basiclly giving the car a less then a good chance of getting restored. The car has had little or no care in the last few years and the BRWT guys are in between a rock and a hard place with the car. Roller bearing trucks or ship by truck with cranes, both big $$$. This car has nothing to due this the NYSW, we don't own it or use it. Last weekend a few volunteers stepped up and said I don't care who owns it or who's going to own it one day, it's a piece of local railroad history lets do what we can to help save it. Keith got wood and cut it to size covering the broken windows in order to keep the snow and rain out. THS volunteers working on saving equipment that isn't ours. The THS suppling material at no charge for the job.
Hell, I thought that was a great example of what were about and the kind of people we are down here on the Bel del.

Be safe
ex-CNJ 1009. We're hoping to truck it out. We've been looking at other cars as well, but nothing thats in turn key shape that we can use. If they want to get reimbursed for the supplies, have them contact me. Regardless, tell them thanks for caring for our wayward car.
 #785791  by Donko142

Lots going on like always, were trying to get the M-1 finished up for her trip down to the Bel-Del. All the tubes are out of the 142 and the new ones are on order. Crews are still working on the steamer, while others get the train ready for the Easter trains that will be running the next two weekends. Like always looking for more help. Starting in April we will be doing alot of outside work the ROW needs to be cut and sprayed. I'm hoping to spray all the way to Milford and keep things open for future plans. I know some have taken vacation and we will be working on the ROW, the G.E. 45 ton and the open car on 4-1 & 4-2 and again on 4-8 through 4-10. Please contact me if you have interest in getting involved.

Thanks for your time, be safe
 #787566  by Donko142

Hello all.

A few members have taken some vacation so we can hit the ROW. In addition to the regular steam team working Thurs to Sun, myself and a few others will be working on the following days. April 1st and 2nd, April 8th and 9th (Thursday & Fridays) these days we will be working on the open car and the ROW. First were going to get the speeders out with the mover and get all the way to Milford. All state requirements for weed spraying are in place what ever days have the best weather reports, we will spray. The track contractor should be on the RR with a big brush cutter with in the next few weeks, that is going to do some real damage to the brush. April 10th and 17th or 18th are going to work on the GE. The work will be on the cab, inside and out getting it ready for paint.
So like I always say, this is a great time to get involved. Over the next 3 weeks one could work on a steam engine, cut trees while seeing 1 of the most beautiful lines in NJ from the speeders, help sand down the paint on the GE diesel, help build the railroads first open car, help get the M-1 ready for the move and so on.
Reach out to me via this site if your intrested.
Thanks for your time & interest.
 #789535  by Notch 8

Thanks to all that came out this first operating weekend. The trains were packed,smiles were plentiful,and the weather was fantastic on Saturday and more than adequate on Sunday. It was pretty cool to see five cars packed with passengers. It was a good tune up for things to come. However, we still have plenty of work to do prior to the beginning of the regular season. Brush can always be trimmed, graffiti painted over, and of course the amount of work to ready NJ's only operating steam locomotive is enough to pass out to an army of men.