• Off Topic, Toy Railroad in Denville in the early 70's

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Scrap The U34CH

Guys,
I need a hand with something.

When I was a kid growing up in Denville, My parents bought me a battery operated ride on toy train set for Christmas one year. I only had it for a short time because the thing broke and was never repaired. I have periodicity searched online for any info on this train but have never found any info on it. I'm hoping someone here can tell me who made this train or any other info on it.

Now remember I was 3-4 years old when I had this train so my description might not be totally correct.

I got this train somewhere between 1973 and 75, each car was maybe 12-15 inches tall and about 2 -3 feet long. There was an engine, and 2-3 other cars, and you sat on top of them. I had a circle of track maybe 10 feet across. The track was made of black plastic and the gauge was maybe 6-8 inches. From what I recall the train was an Orangeish Yellow color. The first engine looked like an F unit. It had a "T" handle bar on top with a red horn button in the middle that worked a horn. I believe the other 3 cars were 2 B units and another engine on the rear facing backwards. All of them had seats on top, but I don't remember if they all had handle bars on them. I remember pulling my brother and 2 sisters around the track, and as I said, You sat on top of the cars, not in them. The train was battery powered. The battery was under the seat of at least one engine. It was white and about 2\3 the size of a car battery. I remember my father charging the battery but, I have no recollection of what the charger looked like. The trucks were silver. I remember this because my father kept the drive truck for years after the train broke.

I would love to find out who made this train, and maybe find some info on it online. I have searched E Bay as well as Yahoo and Goggle for "Ride on toy trains" with no luck. This was probably the coolest toy I ever had, and would just like to get some info on it today.

Does anyone remember ever seeing something like this? Does anyone here have any info on this toy train?

Thanks!!

by Al Holleuffer

This sounds like the Mighty Casey Ride 'Em Railroad. I don't recall who manufactured it, however.

Al Holleuffer

by Scrap The U34CH

Oh my god Al, Once again you come through with the good info!!!!
I did a search and found some links to them on E Bay. Man this brings me waaaayyyyyyyy back! Click the links and scroll down to the pics, in one picture in the first link you can see the horn under the front of the engine. This, along with the motor and one of the trucks sat on a shelf in my fathers garage until the early 90's. This was by far the coolest toy I ever had as a kid. I can't believe I'm seeing this again. Thank you so much Al!! Image

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 65115&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=130

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... tegory=130

Image Al Holleuffer

by james1787

Wow! I wish I knew of that when I was a kid, that would have been a really cool toy.

by Tri-State Tom

Can anyone see a manufacturer stamp in any of these great pics ?

by Scrap The U34CH

Tri-State Tom wrote:Can anyone see a manufacturer stamp in any of these great pics ?
Lookin for a builders plate Tom??:-D:-D

From E Bay:

Hello! You are bidding on an AWESOME vintage "MIGHTY CASEY" Ride'Em train set by Remco.

by Al Holleuffer

Glad I was able to help. I haven't been posting much lately due to my work schedule on the railroad and family matters in case anyone was wondering where I've been.

I haven't seen one of these things in years. I THINK it was made by Mattel Toys but I could be wrong. If my ever-worsening fuzzy memory serves me correctly it was powered by a 6-volt motorcycle battery very similar to those used in the Hot Wheels cars today.