Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1556685  by tahawus84

Any reason that the LIRR is still changing off peak fares? I buy a monthly and do not get any discount. For a agency that is loosing a massive amount of cash I can not understand why they are doing this.
 #1556690  by MACTRAXX

tahawus84 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 am Any reason that the LIRR is still changing off peak fares? I buy a monthly and do not get any discount. For a agency that is loosing a massive amount of cash I can not understand why they are doing this.
T84: The LIRR (and MNCR) is offering an added incentive to riders by charging off-peak fares during this
time of depressed ridership from the ongoing pandemic.

Monthly tickets already offer a significant discount compared to purchasing two one way tickets each day.
The math would be 40 off-peak one way tickets for a given month (10 per week over 4 weeks).

Monthly tickets cost less than their alternatives which would be on average four Weekly tickets or four 10 ride
tickets of either type (Peak 10 Rides offer no discount since they are priced at 10 times the Peak fare).

Also keep in mind that the expensive on-board penalty fares are still in effect for those who board without
tickets at most stations (there are a few "exception" stations without ticket offices or TVMs)...MACTRAXX