Railroad Forums 

• Oct 2nd Trespasser Incident on NEC in NE Philly

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1581847  by NortheastTrainMan

This past Saturday (Oct 2nd) I was on Northeast Regional 87 from NYP to NFK.

All was fine until we passed Hamilton and neared HAM interlocking. Suddenly we began to crawl, and I noticed that we were moved over to track 5, which normally is used for SEPTA's Trenton Line trains. Amtrak typically uses Track 1 eastbound and Track 4 westbound.

So we stop on Track 5, then a few minutes later a Keystone rolls in on Track 4. I notice the Keystone & Regional crews are communicating with eachother as we sit. The Keystone eventually pulls off, and then a LD train rolls in heading westbound on Track 1 which is rare. Around this time an announcement is made that a train hit a trespasser.

Shortly thereafter we leave Trenton and the LD train is now sitting on Track 2 near MORRIS, I guess waiting for us to pass. On the way to Philly we crawl essentially the entire way. There was a SEPTA Trenton Line train on Track 1 that appeared to be turning at Croydon. From Bristol to about Eddington there was a traffic jam of Amtrak trains on Track 2. A few trains passed us heading east on Track 3.

From a logistics standpoint, the PHL - TRE stretch seems difficult in situations like this. Due mainly to the limited crossovers between tracks 1-2 and 3-4. It's not like TRE - NYP where there are interlockings for the interlockings. Amtrak can't "turn" most of their trains, and SEPTA would have to run a significant distance on track 1 westbound which isn't the easiest thing. I might answer my own question here, but are the trains just sitting ducks in situations like these?

Amtrak NEC Alert Tweet for Reference: https://twitter.com/AmtrakNECAlerts/sta ... 80300?s=20
SEPTA Alert Tweet for Reference: https://twitter.com/SEPTA/status/144438 ... 94848?s=20

I actually took some videos (of the trains ONLY) , but I'm not sure the best way of posting them here. So my description will have to do for now.

I'm sure it was tough for everyone involved. All the best to everyone involved, as I'm sure it's not easy dealing with an event like that :(
 #1581864  by STrRedWolf

From what I can tell off of Twitter, 140 was the train that hit the trespasser.

That said, the NEC can definitely use more interlocks. They could of at least upgraded GRUNDY to a full traversal interlock. The closest you got is HOLMES... and then ZOO.