• Oakdale Yard in East Toledo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by matt

Where in terms of mileposts or junctions did Oakdale Yard officially begin and end, both to the east and west? The bridge over East Broadway appears to have 6 separate spans for tracks. I have a picture of this bridge as it was being built in the early 1900's. It's hard to believe that at least 6 tracks crossed E. Broadway at grade.

Thanks.

by shlustig

Matt,

IIRC, there were at least Main Tracks 1, 2, 3, & 4; two yard leads,
Tracks 1 and 2 of the C&O Connection to Rockwell Jct., and a couple
of side tracks on the north and south sides.

by matt

Thanks Ryan, that's a great map...Except my neck is killing me. Is there any way I or you can turn it so that north is pointing up?

Thanks again.

by MR77100

How do you get to Vickers Crossing?

by matt

First go to http://www.mapquest.com and get yourself a map of Northwood, Ohio. You can also get directions from wherever you are coming from.

Assuming you are coming from I-75, get off at Wales Road and go east. When you get to E. Broadway, Wales appears to end but take a left and you'll see it resume on your right hand side.

Vickers crossing is at the corner of Wales and Droulliard Roads, you can't miss it.

The diamond is of course not legally accessible but people do drive along and park on the gravel roads that lead to the crossings, both from Wales and Droulliard. There used to be a vacant building in the northeast quadrant of the two roads where people could watch from but now this facility is a small business, I think auto repair so I would imagine it too, is off limits.

There's lots of trains here but unfortunately you can only really watch legally while driving.

by zwsplac

When I was recently in Toledo, I watched at Vickers from the road crossing over the TT just south of the junction. It was a decent spot, just make sure to park all the way off of the road.
  by jimnorthwood

A year or so ago I suggested to the Mayor of Northwood (Vickers Jct is actually located in Northwood) that the city create a railfan parking area around Vickers. Most everyone who lives around there hates trains, as they cut the city in half, but as I pointed out to the Mayor, why not turn a negative into a positive? Railfans would visit the area, spend money on lodging and food, etc. He thought it a good idea, and he even came out to the house to discuss it a bit. He noted that the city owned some land near the junction, so that land acquisition would not be an issue. When he proposed the idea to city council, though they decided that the potential liability issues would outweight any economic benefit that might be derived, so the idea went nowhere. Since then, the Vickers grade separation project has been upgraded to Tier 1 status. As I understand ODOT nomenclature, Tier 1 status means that the money has been appropriated, and the project will be built. Wales Road will be relocated approximately 100 feet to the south. The lone farm house that sits in the southeastern quadrant of the intersection of Wales/Drouillard will be removed. Wales Road will cross over the NS, the TT and the former C&O passenger tracks. Drouillard road will be rerouted so as to close its crossing of the NS. It will be routed parallel to the NS and then tied into Wales Road. The project is to be completed in 2010. The area around Vickers will look completely different in 5 years.

by matt

Perhaps a nice sidewalk and a small viewing platform could accompany the bridge(s). That would be inexpensive, offer a great view, and keep people away from the diamond itself.

I doubt it.

Wishful thinking.

No chance.