Railroad Forums 

• oak point - fresh pond: double tracked?!

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #143756  by DogBert

Strange but true. They have installed a section of second track where the bridge was rebuilt over the BQE. It is not connected by switches at either end.

I have no idea why this was done. My best guess is it was part of some agreement to fix up that bridge in the first place.

To double track the entire line I suspect there'd be some clearing work to be done south of roosevelt av, and quite a bit of work north / west of the BQE, as there are a few spots were the soil has washed out from what is left of the second track that is up there now (btw the bqe & start of the bridge at 44th street)
Last edited by DogBert on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

#143799  by Noel Weaver

Interesting but probably does not amount to much. There is nowhere
near enough traffic there to justify two tracks. The reason that track six
was pulled out in the first place was that there were a couple of nasty
washouts west of Bowery Bay and even back then, there was not enough
traffic to justify the necessary repairs.
It sure was a good railroad in its day.
Noel Weaver

#144013  by DogBert

I can't imagine it amounting to anything but rust for the foreseeable future. The washouts are still there.

I wonder if the one overpass that appears to have been entirely rebuilt was done so with increased clearance? I forget the name/number of the street offhand but it is one north of roosevelt av.

The new 'second track' runs from that overpass to just about the east side of the BQE bridge. Not a great length, but it's there, brand spankin' new.

#144047  by badneighbor

the optimist can think the double section was done with a future tunnel in mind ... i know.. i am smoking the funny grass again... it sounded good...

#147642  by DogBert

uhm...

Today i saw that the double tracked section now extends SOUTH of roosevelt av. Thus within this last week or 2 the track has be lengthened a few hundred feet (didn't get a good look but it seems that there has been grading work done south of roosevelt)

Does anyone have any info on this? I initially presumed the track would just be on the bridge over the BQE with perhaps a little more length on either side (the bridge over the BQE is a good 2 or 3 city blocks away north of roosevelt av).

#147680  by badneighbor

who actually owns that section of NY Connecting rail? is that an MTA property? or did CSX get that in the Conrail split?

#147730  by freightguy

CSX property all the to the bridge over the Lower Montauk.

#147785  by badneighbor

next question...csx own the hellgate or is that amtrak?

#147850  by jayrmli

Amtrak owns Hell Gate

Jay

#147881  by DogBert

Tho amtrak and conrail pointed fingers at each other for years as to who actually owned it when it was in poor shape and raining crap on houses and cars below. finally the politicians got money to fix/paint it from the feds...
 #148752  by freightguy

Someone reported some track equipment from CSX around that area. As of Fri 12 noon CSX has that line out of service. I wonder if this all "ties" in together?

#148895  by DogBert

? No idea. I saw some equipment from afar but didn't know who owned it.

CSX has been back up and running yesterday and today. Don't recall if they ran saturday...

if i get a chance maybe I'll go get a better look at what is going on over there.

on a seperate note, with the rumored potiental second csx round trip just for C&D cars, I've been wondering where/how they would schedule that train, or if some siding space might not be in order (to at least store cars on given teh capacity at fresh pond dwindling).
 #149769  by CR6618

freightguy wrote:Someone reported some track equipment from CSX around that area. As of Fri 12 noon CSX has that line out of service. I wonder if this all "ties" in together?
CSX is installing a passing siding.
 #149934  by freightguy

Does anybody know what the length of this siding will be? How far north is this from Fresh Pond?

#150079  by Scrap em Again

I bet it will be a passing siding for "PEEE and Doubl-UUUUUUUUUUUUUU" when they travel north. They often conflict with CSX LOL! :wink: