Railroad Forums 

• oak point - fresh pond: double tracked?!

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #157640  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:I saw on CSXT's official website that there is money allocated for plant expansion between Albany and NYC. After speaking with a few people this money is probably for the West bank of the Hudson into North Jersey where all the freight is. So the mystery siding between between Fresh Pond and Oak Point remains just that. The fact that it is physically in place with no one justifying its existence remains more baffling!
Heh, I wouldn't mind some more instances of long-removed track spontaneously regenerating itself... :-)

#157708  by DutchRailnut

Let me post this again for freight guy:

Track No. 6 on the "Connecting"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A section of Track No. 6 east of Fremont will be restored by CSX.

CSXT/NY&A INTERCHANGE IMPROVEMENTS:
CSXT is currently installing a new two mile long siding just north of Fresh Pond Junction, NY. The siding is being installed on the Freemont Industrial Track adjacent to the current single-track. The right-of-way was once a multi-track mainline, so there is plenty of room for construction and relatively little engineering work was required. This should help aid interchange between CSXT and the New York & Atlantic. The LIRR, Providence & Worcester, and Canadian Pacific also interchange at Fresh Pond, NY, so congestion can become an issue at times. The New York & Atlantic is currently in the process of rehabilitating the Bushwick and Bay Ridge Branches. When that work is completed, Fresh Pond Yard will be rebuilt. Current plans are to add two additional tracks to the yard to add more capacity.

#157720  by DogBert

Yes but the track at the moment the south switch is just south of roosevelt av. with the track only extending over the BQE to the north. This track is definitely not 2 miles long, and to extend it north would involve fixing washouts and maybe building a retaining wall.

This thing is about halfway between fresh pond and oak point. It makes zero sense at the moment.

My only theory at this is it is something the DOT agreed to do when rebuilding the bridge over the BQE, maybe with this 2 mile siding a seperate project...

What 'tehy say' is going to be done, and what has been done, don't match up at all, at least at the moment.
DutchRailnut wrote:Let me post this again for freight guy:

Track No. 6 on the "Connecting"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A section of Track No. 6 east of Fremont will be restored by CSX.

CSXT/NY&A INTERCHANGE IMPROVEMENTS:
CSXT is currently installing a new two mile long siding just north of Fresh Pond Junction, NY. The siding is being installed on the Freemont Industrial Track adjacent to the current single-track. The right-of-way was once a multi-track mainline, so there is plenty of room for construction and relatively little engineering work was required. This should help aid interchange between CSXT and the New York & Atlantic. The LIRR, Providence & Worcester, and Canadian Pacific also interchange at Fresh Pond, NY, so congestion can become an issue at times. The New York & Atlantic is currently in the process of rehabilitating the Bushwick and Bay Ridge Branches. When that work is completed, Fresh Pond Yard will be rebuilt. Current plans are to add two additional tracks to the yard to add more capacity.

#157736  by jayrmli

I'm not sure how long the siding is, but I have also heard it was built as a bypass for the BQE project. I've heard it will be 35 cars long, which makes sense. Two miles long leads to more questions than answers.

It would also explain why one poster said CSX isn't paying for it...NYSDOT is.

Jay

#158930  by badneighbor

there is chatter in the NJ region thread about the tunnel again, this could be a long range preperation for that. extend the Pond, and rehab the Bay Ridge and all.. who knows...

#161146  by DogBert

for whatever reasons CP came in last night. Either they're staying the weekend or making a rare saturday trip on the line. if they follow the usual weekday schedule they'll be leaving around 3L30,-5pm... just in case anyone wants to try and get shots of it....

#161188  by Scrap em Again

Saturday departures tend to be earlier around 1230 1300hrs. They dont have to deal with rush-hour on Metro North, so the crew will take the minimal 8 hour rest and get out of Dodge.

#161214  by CR6618

badneighbor wrote:there is chatter in the NJ region thread about the tunnel again, this could be a long range preperation for that. extend the Pond, and rehab the Bay Ridge and all.. who knows...
The tunnel plans are dead.