Railroad Forums 

• NYW&B--NYNH&H freight offices

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #247307  by H.F.Malone

Another old railroad monument falls---

The old red brick NYW&B office and station building at the NYNH&H Harlem River yards is now history. It was demolished this week; this was the long four-story red brick building visible from the Willis Ave. bridge between 1st Ave in Manhattan and Bruckner Blvd in the Bronx.

Up until a few years ago, the lettering "N.Y.W.& B. R.R. CO." and "N.Y.N.H.& H. R.R. CO." were both clearly visible on the west end of the building.

#247391  by Otto Vondrak

That whole neighborhood is going through a change. Maybe they'll build some fancy townhouses here and call them "Westchester Heights."

-otto-

#247612  by Noel Weaver

Mighty interesting stuff, I guess this is one of the last reminders of the
importance of the railroad around the Harlem River area.
I believe this was more a New Haven Railroad building than a New York,
Westchester and Boston building as the Westchester's primary office
building was at 180th Street. I think their freight offices were probably at
this location.
In my early days at Oak Point from 1960, this building was known as the
"Red Building" although by then, the NHRR was mostly out of that building
and much of it was leased out for other uses.
Noel Weaver
 #1038674  by bronxrailbuff

Hi, this was such a gem of history, always saw it my way to the Yankee game, I am doing some research on this now among a number of other historic buildings. Does anyone have, or can help, about the following:

Who owned it?

Who owned it when it was demolished?

How can we find the permissions and permits?

This is a serious forum, if anyone has the info or wants to volunteer to help, let me know!

H
 #1038917  by chnhrr

Many cities have property tax records online. You should be able to gain information on the owner, assessed value and current improvements and sometimes a list of previous owners.
 #1039069  by bronxrailbuff

Thanks so much for the rapid replies, I have tried some of that already. But since it is gone it is challenging. Anyone know the precise address or what is called the Block and Lot number for this, or any family members left that used to own it or the company name? Any and all information most welcome, thanks again!
 #1039207  by Kilgore Trout

I researched this location not too long ago as a gateway of sorts to some other information I was looking for on the NYNH&H. The block number is 2260 and the lot number is 62. Some more information on what I found:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1024211