Railroad Forums 

• NYSW customers?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#247215  by NYCS

Hello everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller :-D

Growing up in New York City, I have come to adore the Susquehanna, and plan to model an HO scale version of the railroad (or at least an interchange point). Since I no longer live in the region, however, it is difficult for me to research varius aspects of the railroad in order to gain a greater understanding of Susie-Q.

Particularly, I am looking for a comprehensive list of the railroad's lineside customers, whether they be factories, distribution centers, lumber yards, etc. I visited the Susquehanna website and found information on their bulk transfer facilities, but supposedly there are over 80 customers along the railroad who ship (or have shipped in the past) by rail. Many of them being small, they are not listed on the website.

I have come here for your expert advice, since you guys seem to know more about Susie Q than even her management. :wink: As I said, I am looking for a complete list of NYSW customers who receive and ship traffic by rail. I know a list such as this likely does not exist, but it is my sincere hope that if enough of you contribute what you know, I can at least have some idea to reasonably and accurately model operations of the Susquehanna.

Also, please list industries that no longer ship by rail. My HO interpretation of Susquehanna will differ greatly from the struggling railroad of today; it will be a thriving, successful and prosperous railroad in 2006! She will still haul double-stacks, and will operate her own SD70Ms (instead of leasing them away). Also I'm thinking of having Susquehanna operate the former Delaware and Hudson, but that's a different story for another day.

Currently, I model the New York Central railroad as it would have existed in the current day, so I have a penchant for "stretching the truth" when it comes to modeling railroads.

Here's a pic of a consist of New York Central SD70MACs and a Susquehanna B-40 hauling the Tropicana juice train:

http://denverskyscrapers.com/nonweb/Tro ... G_4700.jpg

Anyway, back to the list. If anyone can contribute what they know, both current and past customers who no longer use rail, (preferably listing customers by city to keep things organized), I will be most grateful. Also, if you can throw out some ideas of what these customers usually ship or receive, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys for any help you can provide. I will keep you all updated on my progress!

Matt

#247264  by ANDY117

In Binghamton:

Frito Lay- Corn syrup in, as well as large amounts of corn starch and Potatoes via truck and rail. Cars used: Corn Syrup tanks, and covered hoppers (TIMX specifically)

American Pipe and Plastics-
Plastic pellets in by rail, pipe out by truck I believe.

That's all I know for the NYSW around here. I know there's stuff up north of here, but I'm not sure what it is exactly.

#247360  by NJ Vike

Here's some info but it looks like it needs to be updated as I dont see BOC in Sparta

http://www.nysw.com/bulk_transfer.htm

#248203  by dtravisjr

Also in Binghamton, Barrett Paving gets stone shipments spring through fall. The stone comes from a quarry in Jamesville, NY near Syracuse and is hauled in a fleet of captive NYSW hoppers. Would be a great operation to model. Also, I work for Frito and just want to add a few corrections to Andy's post. We actually get vegetable oils (mixture of corn, sunflower and cottonseed) in ADM tank cars, as its kinda hard to fry chips in corn syrup :-D We also get corn in the hoppers, not corn starch. Potatoes are trucked. There is also Norboard Industries at Deposit that receives boxcars, and feed mills at Cochecton and Narrowsburg, NY. It should be noted that Frito, Am Pipe, Norboard and the feed mills were NS customers that NYSW currently switches as it leases the ERie between Binghamton and Port Jervis. Other northern division customers off the top of my head ( more knowlegeable folks feel free to correct):

Homer Oil (Fuel oil inbound?)
Suite Kote (Liquid asphalt tanks inbound)
Buckbee-Mears (chlorine inbound, they made TV/CRT screens)
Rubbermaid? (inbound covered hoppers)

All of these are in the Cortland/Homer area. I Believe there was also a lumber customer in Cortland that recieved loaded centerbeams. I think both Rubbermaid and Buckbee have ceased operations. The Southern Division has quite a bit more business than the northern side. Especially with the booming Construction & Debris traffic. Anyways hope this helps.

Dave

#248446  by njt4172

I have been told that the feed mills at Cochecton and Narrowsburg, NY were dropped by NS and then picked back up by NYSW after the CNY took over that portion of the line...!!

#248661  by trainfreak

Dave seeing as you work at Frito Lay i just want to ask this. Do you guys get a better service with the NYSW instead of when NS had you guys?

#322012  by amoreho1

dtravisjr wrote: Homer Oil (Fuel oil inbound?)
Suite Kote (Liquid asphalt tanks inbound)
Buckbee-Mears (chlorine inbound, they made TV/CRT screens)
Rubbermaid? (inbound covered hoppers)

All of these are in the Cortland/Homer area. I Believe there was also a lumber customer in Cortland that recieved loaded centerbeams. I think both Rubbermaid and Buckbee have ceased operations. The Southern Division has quite a bit more business than the northern side. Especially with the booming Construction & Debris traffic. Anyways hope this helps.

Dave
homer oil shut down

also theres henkel surface tech. (they get tankers once every now and then)

then theres gutchess lumber on the old lehigh trackage (cortland, they get box cars every now and then)