Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Crew locations/employment/pay

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#80648  by Pj

Just curious...but does NYSW change crews in Port Jervis, or anywhere close other than Binghamton? How/where do they adverstise, and what sort of pay does NYSW for new hire conductors, etc?

#80763  by trainfreak

Unless the road trains have a local crew on them they will run without crew change from Binghamton to Little Ferry.

#80890  by cjvrr

About two months ago, I heard new hires are getting between $19.00~$20.00 per hour. Most crews are working around 60 hours per week too. They just recently hired a bunch of newbies.

Also note that a DO subsidiary just signed a lease for the line between Port Jervis and Binghamton, so things may be changing as far as where crews are needed. They may need to base a local between those two points.

Chris

#80897  by Lackawanna484

Depending on how long the trip from Bingo has taken, and how quickly they need to turn the Bingo crew, NYSW will often use a local crew to bring the incoming train down the last stretch.

Sometimes you'll hear a discussion like: WS-1, we'll need your crew to relieve the road job at Sparta around 9 am. Could you tie up your train and () will pick you guys up at Butler?

I'm assuming NYSW prob has four or five Little Ferry based crews, who may also have other duties on the railroad. For a while, all the road crews came out of Bingo, then there was a division, but I think it's back to all Bingo road crews.

#80976  by cjvrr

Yes, the last I knew all road crews work out of Binghamton. Little Ferry is home to the local crews.

#81452  by Pj

Ok, thanks. Anyone know how far in advance crews may have to report to work, or know of any sort of schedule?

I know that schedule & railroads don't really exist, but I am thinking of changing professions...and would like to grasp how NYSW works..considering I may be 1-2hrs outside of Binghamton (Narrowsburg).

A couple of friends of mine that work locally to me (CSO and P&W) usually know a little ahead of time when they are working...unlike NS or CSX.