Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W viability

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#395707  by agrilogistics

Good morning all,

I am currently developing shipments with the NYSW. The status of the railroad (i.e Mr. Rich's health), and potential acquisitions threaten the business I am developing. I need to know more.

Can anyon estimate how many ton miles this railroad is currently moving?

Besides the C&D, what transload business do they have?

My business involves ag commodity shipments. While my Midwest business is solid, NY/NJ is new territory. Any insight would be appreciated.

#395709  by deezlfan

You are developing business in NY and NJ and want the advice of railfans on the internet? That is either very brave or extremely foolish.

#395718  by scottychaos

deezlfan wrote:You are developing business in NY and NJ and want the advice of railfans on the internet? That is either very brave or extremely foolish.
I would go with "extremely foolish"! :wink:

Brian,
this is a railfan forum..
yes, there are some knowledgable people here, but for the most part you are talking to people who cant help you! ;)

you would be much better off just dealing with the railroad directly..

having said that, in my OPINION based only on historical precident..
the NYSW has been around for 126 years, they keep getting new locomotives, business seems fine.
I dont see the railroad going away anytime soon..
and as others have said, the health of a buisness' president should have zero impact on the future of said business.
If Bill Gates died today, I dont think microsoft would cease to exist! ;)

all the talk of Rich's health, and how it might effect the railroad, is a pointless and ridiculous discussion IMO..
his personal health and the health of the railroad are not connected in any way.

take my views for what they are worth..nothing! ;)

Scot
 #395740  by cjvrr

agrilogistics wrote:
Besides the C&D, what transload business do they have?
Sugar for M&M Mars

Plastic pellets for many businesses in Northern NJ

Carbon Dioxide for I believe BOC gas

Lumber

Propane

probably other items too.

I too would think you would be much better off talking with the railroad officials themselves. Being that the RR is small in the region by comparison to NS and CSX you may get better and more personalized service for your business.
 #395757  by agrilogistics

Folks,

Thanks for the prompt replies. Information is where you find it. You may underestimate the caliber and understanding of your membership.

BRB

#395811  by Otto Vondrak

This is a railfan website, no one here represents the railroad in their statements. None of the information you are seeking is a secret, you can talk to people at the railroad who will gladly give you the information you seek. While we are flattered you come here seeking facts and information, you might be better served by the railroad directly. Just some friendly advice.

If your business is moving agricultural products, I think you'll find the railroad in a great position to serve you. Because they are a smaller company, expect more personalized service and quick solutions to your shipping needs.

-otto-

#395830  by washingtonsecondary

I'm just going to sound like everyone else who came before me in this thread, BUT I do have a slightly different prospective. I went to your website and it appears your a freight forwarder. Now, absolutly nothing personal, but I already had a pretty low opinion of freight forwarders and this didn't do much to help it (I work for a importer/distributor). But Otto is right, we are just railfans, you should have had absoultly NO problem talking to the railroad, I would imagine that they'd more then welcome your call.

#395832  by Tadman

A caveat about railroads - they are capital heavy investments, and if the NYSW were to disappear tomorrow, something would replace it - it's not like a laser will come along and vaporize everything to do with NYSW. Someone (likely CSX or NS) would start operating the trackage and serving the customers. This is not a guarantee on my part, but I would assume the states and bankers will want to continue earning on their quite significant investment.

#395865  by RussNelson

scottychaos wrote:all the talk of Rich's health, and how it might effect the railroad, is a pointless and ridiculous discussion IMO. His personal health and the health of the railroad are not connected in any way.
How many railroads' fortunes changed in the past when the person running them died? Read some more histories. It's not a ruling factor, but it's a determining factor.

#395873  by scottychaos

RussNelson wrote:
scottychaos wrote:all the talk of Rich's health, and how it might effect the railroad, is a pointless and ridiculous discussion IMO. His personal health and the health of the railroad are not connected in any way.
How many railroads' fortunes changed in the past when the person running them died? Read some more histories. It's not a ruling factor, but it's a determining factor.
im sure its happened that the death or illness of a company CEO spun the company off in a direction that it wouldnt have taken otherwise..
particularly with smaller "family owned" companys and companys that are not incorporated.
but in general, I still say its a non-issue.
Corporations are owned by multiple shareholders, not one individual, and plans are in place to keep things running if the CEO position changes hands, for whatever reason..it happens all the time and 99% of the time the company continues on as if nothing happened..

IMO, still a non-issue in this case.

Scot
 #395876  by LCJ

This is lifted from Wikipedia:

DOCP Acquisition LLC Takeover

On October 3, 1997, DOCP Acquisition LLC announced it had completed the short-form merger of Delaware Otsego Corporation (NASDAQ:DOCP) with a wholly owned subsidiary via a stock tender offer of $22 per share.

This deal essentially brought the DO System of Railroads, including the subsidary New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway (NYS&W), under control of the much larger Norfolk Southern and CSX rail systems, because the new owner DOCP Acquisition LLC is owned 40% by Norfolk Southern, 40% by CSX and 20% by the Walter G. Rich of the Delaware Otsego Corporation.

#396042  by GOLDEN-ARM

I am going to lock this topic. All the questions you have asked, are already answered, in other threads. More importantly, the info is readily available, from Cooperstown, and the marketing department is PAID to supply this info. As mentioned already, I would be "suspect" of any business that resorted to gaining it's information, that lead to the development of their corporation, through ANY railfan forum. I personally doubt the intent, and sincerity behind your questions, and therefore, this topic is closed, Regards.