Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Roster: Equipment Moves, Updates...

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#316313  by trainfreak

From what ive heard the alarm bells dont sound if there is an issue with the ALCo's if they have an EMD leading.

#316671  by thebigham

From the Susquehanna Yahoo email group:

2400 and 2402 have been sold (which we already knew) and left for Buffalo.

#316684  by trainfreak

Does anyone know who they were sold to?

#316783  by ricebrianrice

Does anyone know why they where sold?

#316839  by EDM5970

EMDs can't pick up alarm (trainline 2) or wheelslip (10) from a trailing Alco?

Come on. Where do you guys get this stuff????

#316931  by Steve F45

ricebrianrice wrote:Does anyone know why they where sold?
larry's truck and repair as reported on nysw group.

#317543  by ANDY117

I've heard NS. It would make sense since they bought 4 F units. Maybe they're starting to make dedicated power for their OCS trains, instead of using road power.

#317596  by Steve F45

ANDY117 wrote:I've heard NS. It would make sense since they bought 4 F units. Maybe they're starting to make dedicated power for their OCS trains, instead of using road power.
I had heard that aswell, but i never saw the e9's come down on nysw's ocs train 3 weeks ago.

#317601  by GOLDEN-ARM

trainfreak wrote:From what ive heard the alarm bells dont sound if there is an issue with the ALCo's if they have an EMD leading.
That may or may not be true. The wheel slip alarm light, (not in any way, connected to a bell) though, is mandated to function, in multiple units, by the FRA. ANY wheels sliding, or locked, anywhere in the consist, of multiple units, must, by law, transmit that info, to the controlling locomotive. Hence, my wondering, why the engineer, didn't notice that the axle was locked, or, that the wheels were sliding................................ :(

#318190  by EDM5970

Maybe the leading EMD had a bunch of "Alco Rejection Diodes" wired into it's trainline circuits at the terminal board-

Several Alcos that I am familiar with have a wheel slip buzzer on wire 10, but I don't know just what EMD practice is.

#318525  by roadster

It's always possible that the bell in the leader may have been defective, or atleast it's audability may have been severely reduced due to wear, abuse, neglect. When in the cab of an older conventional cab EMD wearing hearing protection, the engineer may not have heard the alarm for the above possibilities along with the cab noise.

#318630  by GOLDEN-ARM

roadster wrote:It's always possible that the bell in the leader may have been defective, or atleast it's audability may have been severely reduced due to wear, abuse, neglect. When in the cab of an older conventional cab EMD wearing hearing protection, the engineer may not have heard the alarm for the above possibilities along with the cab noise.

While that may, or may not be true, locos just have a light, that says either "wheel slip", or "locked axle". Some might have a buzz-box, like older, first generation EMD's, but the warning light, is what denotes a wheel slip problem, not an alarm bell. On a DB equipped unit, you might see a "brake warn" light, and it means either over current, to the grids (rarely) or wheels sliding, due to lack of adhesion. (most likely) The alarm bell denotes things, like an engine that died, over-heated, had a ground relay action. If the Alcos and the EMD's weren't "talking" to each other, then the NYS&W is in violation, of the CFR, which MANDATES, by law, that multiple units MUST provide warning, to the operator, of locked and/or sliding wheels. If the locos are pinned differently, the law still sees them to be in "willful violation", as the testing of the circuit, is covered under CFR mandates, as well. Regards :(

#319037  by RSD15

NYSW 3674 on its way to utica on CSX.

#321569  by Marty Feldner

The 3672, still in Warwick, had its bad axle changed out today (Friday). Supposed to be picked up and towed back to Little Ferry sometime overnight.

The attempt to lift and block up the axle a few weeks back (pictures posted by Mainetrain) didn't work. The following Saturday that attempt was removed; the Saturday after that, the pilot plow and front steps were removed, hand brake chains disconnected, and pedestal tie bars under the bad axle removed. Today a Pettibone-mounted crane was brought in to lift the front of the unit for the axle switchout.

#321643  by Steve F45

Marty Feldner wrote:The 3672, still in Warwick, had its bad axle changed out today (Friday). Supposed to be picked up and towed back to Little Ferry sometime overnight.

The attempt to lift and block up the axle a few weeks back (pictures posted by Mainetrain) didn't work. The following Saturday that attempt was removed; the Saturday after that, the pilot plow and front steps were removed, hand brake chains disconnected, and pedestal tie bars under the bad axle removed. Today a Pettibone-mounted crane was brought in to lift the front of the unit for the axle switchout.
wish someone would've gotten pics of that.