Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W On LVRR At Cortland, NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#190616  by TB Diamond

Does the NYS&W still operate on the old Lehigh Valley RR Cortland Branch remnant in Cortland? Should this still be in operation, how often is this line segment utilized? Thank you.
 #205342  by D&HRailnut

NYSW does operate on the old Lehigh Valley line in Cortland, but only as far as Gutchess lumber. And the runs out to there are few and far between.
However the Cortland County Business Association and the State of New York are planning on rehabilitating the line between Cortland Junction and South Cortland. They are planning on building a rail depot in the South Cortland area to serve the businesses that are going to relocate to the Industrial Park they are building.

Essex Steel has already occupied thier building out there. And BestWay Enterprises are planning on building $7 Million facility out in South Cortland.

Joe O'Mara
Cortland, NY
 #205998  by TB Diamond

Thank you, D&HRailnut for the information. Can recall the LV spotting cars to the old Cortland Overhead Door just compass west of NY Rt. 281. Think that this is as far as ConRail operated the track, under New York State LDL subsidy until the NYS&W took it over. The news of the track renewal is most welcome.
 #207259  by D&HRailnut

A few years ago while riding the Maple Express from Cortland to Marathon, I noticed alot of rails are still in place at Cortland Junction. They are just cut from the main trackage and the old LVRR line which NYS&W refers to as the Cortland Industrial.
 #207402  by TB Diamond

Thank you for that information. The last time I was at Cortland Jct., in 1996, the LV/E-L diamond had been removed. The LV tracks east of the NYS&W were totally gone as was the row. The old control box was still intact but totally junked out. The LV tracks west of the NYS&W were intact, which I found amazing. Back about 1974 I rode the LV local from the freight depot to end-of-track out near the Holiday Inn. There is a big parking lot where end-of-track was located.
 #290082  by amoreho1

D&HRailnut wrote:However the Cortland County Business Association and the State of New York are planning on rehabilitating the line between Cortland Junction and South Cortland. They are planning on building a rail depot in the South Cortland area to serve the businesses that are going to relocate to the Industrial Park they are building.

Essex Steel has already occupied thier building out there. And BestWay Enterprises are planning on building $7 Million facility out in South Cortland.

Joe O'Mara
Cortland, NY
any one know when they will start work