• NYO&W Middletown Station fire

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by oldrail

How serious was the fire? Can the building be restored or is it likey to be demolished?

by NYSW3614

From what I understood, only an end of the building was damaged. I believe the initial reaction was to demolish just the damaged end, but that idea was changed. I have not heard any plans since the fire. Hopefully some more informed individual will post the latest plans.

by Otto Vondrak

I made a trip up to Middletown Sunday to inspect the building and see how bad the damage was for myself.

When you come upon the station from the south end, you cant even tell there was a fire. The platform canopy was not harmed at all, and the exterior seems to be intact- the building is made from cut stone and brick, so that is very hard to damage. If this was a wooden structure, we'd be saying bye-bye to the building.

The damage is apparent on the northern end. The roof is completely burned away, and much of the interior on the second and third floors appears to be damaged. Not sure as to the extent of the damage to the rest of the interior. Not even sure how much original interior was left after so many businesses coming and going.

Could the building be saved? Most likely, since it appears the damage was confined to a small area. However, the town seems in favor of removing the building altogether in favor of adding more parking (parking for what? there's no retail establishments around there!) or who knows what. I think the only thing keeping this building from being restored is time and money. However, what function? The building cant survive as a non-profit rail museum and photo prop forever.

I visited the site before, and never noticed the small brick structure to the north of the station- with the "O&W" logo in brick on the track side and the street side... was this a freight house or REA building? Now it appears to be a restaurant supply house.

anyway... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

I hope to have a short piece in the June issue of Hudson Valley magazine regarding the station and its current condition (and possible future). I hope it will draw some attention to the plight of the building... if the building got a facelift, it might bring the surrounding community up with it.

-otto-