Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ Rail (former New York Cross Harbor Railroad)

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #889704  by ErieLimited2914

Does anyone here know any information regarding the New York Cross Harbor Railroad's car float and street running freight operation in Brooklyn on and around 1st Avenue? I'd love to get down there and check it out. Do they also operate the yard between 38th and 39th?
 #889828  by K4Pacific

Bernie Ente of Ente Studios has all the info. [email protected]
 #889904  by JoeRailRoad

ErieLimited2914 wrote:Does anyone here know any information regarding the New York Cross Harbor Railroad's car float and street running freight operation in Brooklyn on and around 1st Avenue? I'd love to get down there and check it out. Do they also operate the yard between 38th and 39th?
It's now New York New Jersey Rail, LLC & owned by the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey.

Check here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=65777

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nych.html

Joe
 #890028  by JoshKarpoff

My understanding is that the PANY&NJ board voted just a few months back to begin re-investing in this infrastructure, including fixing up the existing Brooklyn side and doing extensive rehab and expansion on the NJ side.
http://www.progressiverailroading.com/n ... p?id=23342
NY/NJ port to build barge-to-rail facility at century-old yard

Yesterday, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s (PANYNJ) board authorized the purchase and redevelopment of Greenville Yards in Jersey City, N.J.

The century-old rail yard will “serve as the lynchpin” for removing up to 360,000 trash trucks annually from trans-Hudson crossings and New Jersey highways beginning in 2013 by moving New York City’s waste in sealed containers via barge and rail, PANYNJ officials said in a prepared statement. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie recently called on the port authority to build a barge-to-rail facility at Greenville Yards.
 #890285  by jaystreetcrr

I live near NYNJ and get down there whenever I can, though that's usually on weekends when they're not running. You can see the yard from the street though it's a little hard to see the floatbridge. Lots of interesting street trackage and inspiration for urban modeling. Do a search on Bush Terminal RR and you'll find a lot of stuff from back in the day when this was a much busier operation, as I hope it will be once again....John
 #890613  by ccutler

John, if you observations are enough to provide data on how busy the carfloat is, for instance number of railcars floated per day, that would be very interesting to us. Right now CSX looks to be shuttling about 50 cars per day across hell's gate bridge, so I am wondering how much competition NS provides to CSX in accessing the Long Island market through the carfloat operation.
 #890768  by Ðauntless

They float a few days a week, it varies. Usually 3-4 days, with 1 or 2 complete round trips, depends on the day and what the traffic is. Theres about 5 or 6 customers in the yard, and alot of traffic for the brick guy at 65th st., then whatever interchange cars there is. A float is usually about 12 cars. Once the S. Brooklyn Marine Terminal and SIms pier is done I imagine traffic is gonna start to climb once again. Then theres the Greenville Garbage plan..