Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ at 51st St Brooklyn - 10/6

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #724044  by DaveBarraza

Got a chance to see the NYNJ Rail car float unload and load at 51st Street Brooklyn today. Very cool - something I never would have expected to see live :-)

I had always read that reach cars were used to load and unload the barges too keep the loco off the float bridge, but today the switcher was used to lower the float bridge to the proper height! No reach cars were used at all. I guess the engineer had a life-preserver on board!

Crew was congenial once they observed that we weren't being dimwits.

P.S. BMT-Man: Think I had your train last PM around 6 from 7th to Jay, but was up in the front, couldn't say hey.