Railroad Forums 

• NYNH&H (incl NYW&B) Stations on Historic Register

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #959469  by Jeff Smith

A recent post on MNRR's mileposts made me curious: https://www.facebook.com/notes/mta-metr ... 4631633322

And, of course, since I found this on Facebook, I'm linking this thread to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RailroadNet "Like" us and get topics like this via social media!
The National Parks Service has listed Hartsdale Station on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hartsdale joins Grand Central Terminal and Poughkeepsie Station on this important historic buildings registry. Besides making the station preservation-worthy, there is another positive benefit — Metro-North is now eligible to apply for New York State Environmental Protection Fund (EPF) grants for project work associated with the historic preservation and restoration of Hartsdale Station. We have other stations that are considered historic that are eligible for listing, including Yonkers, Tarrytown, Ossining, Bronxville, and Port Chester, among others. Also there are a few municipal/ community owned station buildings that are listed on the National Register (Chappaqua, Scarsdale, New Rochelle, Tuxedo, Philipse Manor).

The National Register is the nation’s official list of properties worthy of preservation.

Listing on the National Register recognizes the importance of these properties to the history of our country and provides them with a measure of protection. Properties listed on the National Register that are owned by municipalities, public authorities, and not-for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for state historic preservation matching grants.
I've bolded the NH stations listed. I was surprised at the ommission of Mamaroneck.

Outside of these two stations, can anyone else think of any extant stations, in use or not, mainline, branch, or abadoned lines (including Maybrook, New York Westchester and Boston, etc.), that should be on here? Is Hopewell Junction?
 #959636  by chnhrr

For the New York,Westchester and Boston, I think the 180th Street Station is the only one on the National Register. Pelham Parkway, Morris Park, Gunn Hill Road, Quaker Lane, Heathcote and Third Avenue (Mt. Vernon) should get some noting since they are quite unique. Some of the other stations have been altered beyond recognition. The remaining stations along the Harlem River Branch should receive recognition, since they were designed by noted architect, Cass Gilbert. Has there been any futher development on a day/festivities to mark the 100th of the NYW&B?
 #959750  by Jeff Smith

I think those are all worthwhile suggestions, especially Pelham Parkway, Heathcote, and Quaker Lane (or was it Quaker Ridge?). It might be tough on the latter two since they are in private hands. What's left of the Harlem River branch except Hunts Point?
 #959987  by Ridgefielder

Does anyone have a list of former NYNH&H stations that are already on the Register? The only ones I'm positive about are Canaan and New London; I think Hartford, New Haven, Kingston, Old Greenwich and New Canaan are but I'm not sure. Stations I'd nominate if not already there are Westport, Westerly, West Cornwall, Naugatuck, Berlin-- and, for a hometown plug, Ridgefield: even though no passenger train has stopped there since 1926, and the tracks have been gone since the mid-'60s, the station on Prospect Street is still completely intact within the Ridgefield Supply lumberyard, right down to the butterfly sheds over the platform.
 #959991  by chnhrr

Oops – That should be Quaker Ridge. Quaker Lane is road two miles away from where I live in Alexandria VA. The other Harlem River stations are Westchester Avenue and Morris Park (not to be confused with the NYW&B station). Both are in terrible shape. I include a link that shows the stations and Hunts Point in past and present.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthrea ... 862&page=1
 #961363  by Ridgefielder

Well, I did a little poking around on the interwebs and came up with a list of NYNH&H stations on the Register in the State of Connecticut. It's a suprisingly mixed bag.

West End
New Haven
Southport
Old Greenwich
Cos Cob

Danbury Branch/Berkshire Line
Danbury
New Milford
Cornwall Bridge
Canaan

Shore Line
New London

Highland Line
Waterbury
Forestville
Newington Jct.

Canal Line
Simsbury

Springfield Line
Wallingford
Hartford
Windsor (both frieght and passenger)
Windsor Locks

Midland
Willimantic (freight)
Putnam

Valley
Essex (freight)
Deep River (freight)

Also on the list (to my surprise) are the turntable at Danbury; the Mianus, Norwalk, Saugatuck and Housatonic River bridges; Rapallo and Lyman viaducts and the Blackledge River bridge on the Air Line; the Riverside Avenue overpass in Greenwich; and the entire Canal Line from New Haven to Suffield.
 #966927  by H.F.Malone

Work is being done to get Thomaston added to the "list". The story of "why not" will eventually be told, once it is "on".
 #968451  by Noel Weaver

chrisnewhaven wrote:I'm surprised Berlin and Thomaston aren't on that list. Also, is the New Britian station still extant?
C.J.V.
New Britain passenger station was demolished way back in the late 50's, maybe 1959. They rented a storefront for a year or so until the last passenger train came off and the Berlin Bus went to C R & L.
Noel Weaver