Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#753305  by Statkowski

Once upon a time, NYCTA hopper cars would be delivered to the New Haven Railroad via the old NYW&B connection at 174th St. in The Bronx. From Oak Point Yard they would be sent to New Haven Traprock for loading and return.

What were the reporting marks for these cars? "NYCTA" is five characters, and the maximum for reporting marks is four.

What was the history of these cars? They had to be narrow enough to fit on the IRT.
 #753785  by Kamen Rider

New York City Transit (NYCT) fits.
 #754064  by Statkowski

It may fit, but I've not found it listed anywhere as a registered reporting mark.

Still wondering about the history of the cars.
 #754103  by Nova55

Photos I have seen they have no reporting marks. Just NYCTA across the top with a number (ex R166) in the middle.
 #754149  by Statkowski

That's how I remember seeing them. Must have been a special listing ("NYCX") or something - technically they would qualify as private cars.
 #754759  by Otto Vondrak

Would they have used SBK reporting marks? South Brooklyn is the Subway's railroad connection and interchange partner with the outside world.

-otto-
 #754817  by Nova55

I doubt it..SBK had a roster of there own work stuff, and it wasn't permitted off there trackage. I wonder if they were simply moved under a gentleman's agreement.
 #755318  by Otto Vondrak

There is an AAR reporting mark "MTA" for Metropolitan Transportation Authority (New York), but I could find no reporting marks assigned to New York City Transit, the Transit Authority, or NYCTA...
 #755637  by R36 Combine Coach

RRPictureArchives.net lists "MTA" as the reporting mark for New York City Transit.
 #755715  by Statkowski

"MTA" may indeed be a valid reporting mark, but it didn't exist at the time these cars were moved.
 #757104  by R36 Combine Coach

The MTA was established in 1965 to overseen the LIRR but did not take over the NYCTA until 1968.
 #757155  by Noel Weaver

Well for sure it could not be NYC because of the New York Central. Maybe NYT but I can't recall for sure. I would be willing
to bet that there are pictures of these hopper cars in a book someplace. Incidentally they went to Reeds Gap for stone so
they only ran on the New Haven Railroad and I don't think they went any other place. I do not recall ever seeing them
anywhere outside of the above territory.
I am positive that the operation through Oak Point predates the MTA.
Noel Weaver
 #757233  by Statkowski

Knowing the New Haven, and since these cars moved only on the New Haven, there was probably some sort of "gentleman's agreement" covering the move. Thus, the lack of official reporting marks was not considered the end of the world.
 #757368  by JOEC

i recall as far back as the late 1950's,early 1960's, NYCTA across the body and a car number on the lower body. i have a black & white photo taken in 1971 of the cars at 180 street viaduct. if i find anything of value i'll let you know.
 #758530  by JOEC

the hopper cars were interchanged with a common carrier-NEW HAVEN/ PENN CENTRAL they had to be FRA complient to do so. in addition to the NYCTA letters and car number, they also had federal data on the bodies. hope this clarifies your question.