Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1331571  by Tadman

Yellowspoon wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:I don't think the Green line counts as it's not heavy rail.
Many systems have in-street running and in-median running like SFO & BOS, but I think the OP is looking for private-right-of-way that has crossings like Chicago's. For whatever reason, Boston's D line has one grade crossing that is a walking path in the middle of the woods. I ride that about twice a month. In 50+ years, I've never seen anyone near that crossing, but the trains slow down to 5MPH every time. Also, the Mattapan line has a few street crossings.

One of my favorites is (was?) the commuter rail line running down the middle of the street in Michigan City, Indiana, but that's still part of Chicago. I haven't been there for 15 years, I assume it still runs. But if we start counting electric commuter lines (like MetroNorth or LIRR), we'd fill pages.

I've always wondered how they keep kids from wandering down the tracks who don't know that the 3rd rail is alive.
Good post - I was referring to heavy-rail transit only, so NYCTA, CTA, WMATA, MARTA, MBTA red/blue/orange, SEPTA M-F line, Patco, etc... MBTA green and Cleveland green/blue are trolley-esque light rail.

For the record, the amazing MIchigan City train is the South Shore, its a FRA-regulated former interurban and it certainly still runs. I rode it in December and watch them leave from my office every day in downtown Chicago.

Regarding keeping kids off the ROW, there is a device like that used to keep cattle off western railroad ROW's to keep urban youts off the CTA at ground level.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _guard.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1331861  by Backshophoss

The uneven surface makes it hard for cattle to get on the ROW,same for the CTA,Keeps Humans off the ROW
 #1331954  by ExCon90

My recollection is that the "points" are deeper, sharper, and closer together than on the cattle guard in the photo; very difficult to walk over (especially in sneakers, I should think).
 #1332900  by umtrr-author

If I recall correctly that PATH grade crossing was at West Side Avenue, west of Journal Square. There are photos in several color books.

Though not really on topic, there's also what I assume (correctly, I hope) is a pedestrian employee-only crossing just west of the Journal Square platform, complete with scaled down crossbucks and lights.
 #1333048  by Rbts Stn

Yellowspoon wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:I don't think the Green line counts as it's not heavy rail.
Many systems have in-street running and in-median running like SFO & BOS, but I think the OP is looking for private-right-of-way that has crossings like Chicago's. For whatever reason, Boston's D line has one grade crossing that is a walking path in the middle of the woods. I ride that about twice a month. In 50+ years, I've never seen anyone near that crossing, but the trains slow down to 5MPH every time. Also, the Mattapan line has a few street crossings.

One of my favorites is (was?) the commuter rail line running down the middle of the street in Michigan City, Indiana, but that's still part of Chicago. I haven't been there for 15 years, I assume it still runs. But if we start counting electric commuter lines (like MetroNorth or LIRR), we'd fill pages.

I've always wondered how they keep kids from wandering down the tracks who don't know that the 3rd rail is alive.
I've used that crossing many times . . . but not in the past 15 years. On your right, just after the crossing, if you're heading towards Riverside, used to be the "Deer Park". The white building just inside the fence was home to a couple dozen deer, who had a pretty large area to wander in (fence went all the way to Hammond Pond Parkway and most of the way towards Beacon Street). Parking for the park was just off of that path, and many other trails through the conservation area started on the south side of the tracks.