Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1413541  by Jeff Smith

AMNY

Quoting money is no object service" proposals; note I'm not opining on the worthiness of the suggestions, but noting that money is INDEED an object.
NYC transit wish list: Subway, bus, more improvements commuters want most
I want the M train to do a full circle. Think about what that would mean. Triboro service in both directions and you could run local and express trains to make a full circuit even shorter. The best part is that there are already train tracks running along the missing portion of the M line. -- Rafael Sternbach
Subway service - the F should have an express and a local. The tracks are there, they could have both without much change, if any. The F is a very crowded line and a very long run from Queens to the end of Brooklyn. Would be very helpful to have an express. The #1 train is so crowded you can't get on it during hours of the day that used to have almost no riders. I don't ride that line one very often, obviously, only in case of dire necessity. -- Diane Martella
Build the "Triboro Rx" subway - to connect Bay Ridge along existing freight tracks all the way to Jackson Heights, and over the Hells Gate Bridge to the Bronx along existing Amtrak/Metro North tracks as far north as Co-op city area -- Scott Webber
Brown M train to Bay Parkway on the D train West End Line Station will be restored on Rush Hours and add Middays, Evenings, and Weekends in both direction. The W train will be extended to Bay Parkway on the West End Line D train station because the Brown M train to Bay Parkway on the West End Line D train station is discontinue. The Brown M train will be restore to Bay Parkway, the Montague Street Tunnel connection from Broad Street Station in Manhattan and Court Street in Brooklyn, and run on the 4th Avenue Local Line. -- Kevin Zeng
 #1413626  by STrRedWolf

There's a few good suggestions here from my short time on the rails. There's a few more that can be added too.
  • Automating announcements and adding "Door open on the..." works wonders on the VTA in San Jose and WMATA in DC.
  • NFC farecards!!! Chicago, DC, and Baltimore has them. They save money because you're not pushing tons of paper.
  • Get more modern train cars in, and toss the old stuff out. Get it done faster.
  • More tunnels or bridges across to reach various tracks, in case of another Sandy.
LIRR needs to add more track. It should be at least double-tracked EVERYTHERE.
 #1413704  by rr503

I'm with F express. Commute times from SBK are awful, and the F is always crowded/late. They should run 1/2 of its trains exp in the peak direction to Kings highway, and extend the G there as the author says. Then the locals can terminate at avenue x.

I'm with the W extension, but not the reworking of the M.

And increasingly, I'm seeing the need for the triboro RX.
 #1413786  by Greg Moore

Can I say "Second System"?

Ok, perhaps too much.
Perhaps actually completing the 2nd Ave Subway though phase IV.

Ok, more fanciful:
Extend 7 to NJ (yeah, if you can get past the politics)
Perhaps extend the 7 at the other end up and over the Pelham Bay in the Bronx.
Split M or R to run northeast (either along, or parallel to the LIE)
In Brooklyn a shuttle along Avenue H.
And extend the Brooklyn S (shuttle) up through Bed-Sty, with free transfer to G, connect to J,Z,M at Myrtle with possible continuation up Grand Ave to E,F,M,R
Extend 2,5 to Emmons Ave.

That's it off the top of my head by looking at a map and w/o too much though.
 #1413913  by Head-end View

How about some simple stuff like returning to the old practice of running the #7 Express Manhattan-bound until 12Noon and beginning the Flushing-bound express at around 12Noon also.

And running Brighton Expresses on weekends too. It used to at least run on Saturdays.
 #1413914  by rr503

What about a new 4 track subway out under the lie/union turnpike to mineola? Or a light rail system in South Brooklyn/Queens?

Less crazily.....
Somehow removing the M from QBL and replacing it with a full length train. (Switching it and the B at 34?)

West end express

More R trains
 #1413929  by MattW

Swap the B and Q. Give Coney Island an express service without needing a new service or more tracks at Coney. The track at Brighton should allow this, though it may require conflicting moves unlike the current "pocket track" arrangement.