Railroad Forums 

• NYC Shark Noses west of Chicago?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#19356  by CNW4404

Not an NYC modeler, but I like their paint scheme a lot on the shark nose and am going to buy two. My layout is freelanced (mostly C&NW stuff), so I could get away with running the two Baldwins as a regular train. However, it would be more realistic if they were interchanged power. Did this ever occur?

#19502  by NYC-BKO

I take it you are talking about the lightning stripe scheme, which would date them to the fifties. Very few railroads interchanged power then, that didn't start till the late fifties and early sixties. By that time the sharks were pretty much captive on the Big Four based out of Cleveland. The only railroads that I've seen pictures of run through power were CB&Q & AT&SF. This isn't to say it didn't happen with the C&NW. I don't know if the sharks ever ventured as far as Chicago. Hopefully someone else will fill in the blanks for you. Always remember it's your railroad and you can do what you want. Hope this helps some. :D :wink:

#19711  by clehman

I saw NYC power on both Burlington and Rock Island trains West of Chicago. I don't remember the exact years, but was almost for sure sometime in the '60s. At that time I lived in Peoria, IL, within sight of the NorthWestern line to St. Louis and never saw ANY pool power on C&NW trains on this line in all those years. I have MANY B&W prints of NorthWestern trains in and around Peoria from my youth, and none show any foreign power.
 #20395  by mel

I doubt if the Sharks interchanged
They could not be MUed with other units.We would have two Sharks into
Elkhart,In.and the out bound train would require 3 units. The Sharks
would be dead in consist on the south bound trip because they could not be MUed and the mainline did not want them. MEL