Railroad Forums 

• NYC Passenger Car Lettering

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#9392  by Rick F.

Here's one for Otto - I'm thinking about getting the new Branchline Trains NYC coach. I'm modeling about 1952. This car is to be used in secondary service so I think green may be the right color. My question is - What is the proper style of lettering to use? The Roman or the later modern block lettering? And what color of lettering? White or imitation gold?

Thanks, Rick

#9441  by NYC-BKO

By the fifties everything should have had Gothic lettering and on a green car it would be gold. HTH

#9490  by Otto Vondrak

Cars should be Pacemaker Green with yellow/delux gold lettering. The second run of the Branchline cars got it right, but consider changing the six-axle trucks to four-axle. Also consider looking at the Rivarossi "shorty" heavyweights... they look pretty good too.

-otto-