Railroad Forums 

• NYC on the Selkirk Subdivision

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1227449  by Alek9997

Can anyone here provide me with detailed information/photos regarding the New York Central railroad's operations on what is now known as the CSX Selkirk Subdivision? Any time period prior to the start of Penn Central is welcome.

Alek
 #1229647  by Otto Vondrak

Alek9997 wrote:Can anyone here provide me with detailed information/photos regarding the New York Central railroad's operations on what is now known as the CSX Selkirk Subdivision? Any time period prior to the start of Penn Central is welcome.

Alek
They ran trains there, I'm pretty certain. Freight, mostly. Then, on Feb. 1, 1968, Penn Central took over.

:-)

Can you please be a little more specific? Narrow down a time frame perhaps?

-otto-
 #1229681  by Noel Weaver

During the New York Central days the trackage in question was from Selkirk to Rotterdam Junction was the West Shore, the trackage from Rotterdam Junction to Hoffmans (the junction with the main line, now CP-169) was the Hoffmans Branch and the connection from the main line to the West Shore east of Schenectady was the Carman Branch. Any passenger service for the most part came out of Albany and used the Carman Branch to reach the West Shore and in the last years of passenger service on this territory was purely local in nature and included a mail train that did not even handle revenue passengers. Penn Central for a period of time actually sort of abandoned the main line between Schenectady and Hoffmans and during that period the passenger trains actually operated over the Carman Branch, the West Shore and the Hoffmans Branch but eventually the State of New York got involved with Amtrak and the trackage between Schenectady and Hoffmans was repaired and put back in to service and a new passenger station was built in Schenectady to replace the New York Central built station in Colonie. I have a very few timetables in my collection that show scheduled trains over this territory way back when. In much earlier days they actually operated through trains out of Weehawken that continued on a by pass around Selkirk (and Ravena in those days when there was a facility there) and continued on the West Shore west toward Buffalo.
Noel Weaver
 #1230443  by Alek9997

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Alek9997 wrote:Can anyone here provide me with detailed information/photos regarding the New York Central railroad's operations on what is now known as the CSX Selkirk Subdivision? Any time period prior to the start of Penn Central is welcome.

Alek
They ran trains there, I'm pretty certain. Freight, mostly. Then, on Feb. 1, 1968, Penn Central took over.

:-)

Can you please be a little more specific? Narrow down a time frame perhaps?

-otto-
@Otto LOL Ok, to be more specific, I'm interested in about 1926-1968

@Noel, Thanks for that bit of info!

Alek