Railroad Forums 

• NYC Geneva GY Tower

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1491111  by nydepot

Why was GY so big? Did it control a lot (territory)? The NYC and LV didn't cross physically. Thanks.

Charles
 #1491112  by Matt Langworthy

The Auburn Road and the Corning Branch crossed in Geneva. Both of them were fairly busy routes for NYC back in the day, so I can see why there was a tower there. Also. NYC and LV did interchange in Geneva... with LV sending their pick-up (local) into the NYC yard.
 #1491133  by BR&P

Just speculation, but NYC had "standard" plans for many of its structures. It's possible they just went with what was on the books.

Fallbrook was double track, Auburn Road kept passenger service until a fairly late date. Related question - did GY operate the switch from the Fallbrook to the Auburn Road at the west/south end of the yard? I would guess no due to the distance involved but would be interested to know. the guy who could have told me passed away last month.
 #1491218  by TB Diamond

Was up in the tower a few times circa M/1970s. Should recall be correct the machine was electrically controlled.

ConRail Northeastern Region ETT No. 1 effective June 18, 1978 shows Corning Branch CP WD MP 4.3 and CP Rich MP 11.8 both remotely controlled from GY.
 #1491764  by videobruce

CPSmith wrote:Nice photo, nice series if you haven't seen it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerl ... 562839443/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That series was fantastic. I wished I was back 80 years. :wink: