Railroad Forums 

• NYC Flexi-van yard goats

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1235759  by foxtrot

This is a cross between a prototype and a modelling question, Does anyone know where I can find a picture of of Flexi-vans being loaded? I remember in the 1960's they were loaded below Albany Union Station in an are adjacent to the REA building. Delaware & Hudson also had an overtrack hoist which spanned two tracks at the location. I remember a tractor with a hydraulic fifth wheel mounted in front of the cab would like to see what it looked like. The modern yard goats in HO scale by the various manufacturers all have rear mounted fifth wheels that would be found in a normal truck terminal. Thanks for any help available.

Tom
 #1236308  by foxtrot

Thank you very much, this looks similar to a current terminal goat, makes things easier. The one I remember from Albany NY, I thought had a 5th wheel in front but that was 50 yrs ago, they were sold to Schaffer beer which had a brewery less then a mile from Albany Union Station serviced by the Delaware & Hudson. The color is the yellow that I remember not the red and gray currently being offered on most NYC truck models.

Tom
 #1236347  by Backshophoss

There's been a "kit" that can turn a 2 axle daycab into a "Yard dog"(goat) for short runs from a trailer yard to
close in customers,the "lifting" 5th wheel allows for moving the trailer and not having to crank up/down the
landing gear legs.
Yard dogs(goats) are normally confined to the yard/terminal areas were painted white or yellow(to STAND OUT),can be made
"street legal"if needed.