Railroad Forums 

• NYC caboose near Rome/Verona - can anybody get a number?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1467758  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Several more pics on that link to the property ad if they help.

Hey Ken, does he see some distinguishing feature that indicates that is THE caboose they had, or just that it looks like an NYC in general?
No The handrail at top of the ladder is not present on 19086. and this "camp" caboose does have it.

http://www.railcitymuseum.com/New_York_Central_RR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1467768  by BR&P

Good catch, Ken! The NYC cabs in that series did not have the loops or whatever you want to call them up above the roofline, while this one does. It's obvious a lot of work was done on the cupola and roof - the running boards are gone, cupola windows have been altered. So maybe the owner added them.

Another possibility - Rutland cabooses were almost identical but did have the extended ladders. But a Rutland caboose would not have been at Utica which is where this one reportedly came from.
 #1467809  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Good catch, Ken! The NYC cabs in that series did not have the loops or whatever you want to call them up above the roofline, while this one does. It's obvious a lot of work was done on the cupola and roof - the running boards are gone, cupola windows have been altered. So maybe the owner added them.

Another possibility - Rutland cabooses were almost identical but did have the extended ladders. But a Rutland caboose would not have been at Utica which is where this one reportedly came from.

RUNNING BOARD!!!! I was trying thinking so hard for the right word that I completely forget... I end up using walkway (instead of catwalk) and figure that you would know what I mean.... thanks!

Yes, this "Camp" caboose had metal sheet added to the roof....I believe that cupola has been expanded to full width.. Too bad that the owner did not preserved the seating portion for the cupola. it would be great and pleasure to look out, even at night time, from the seating, instead of floor...