Railroad Forums 

• NYC caboose Fredonia, TTC cars cut up Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1406185  by BR&P

SST wrote:I'll be in the area in the next few weeks so I'll check it out then.

I just looked at google maps and it can be viewed from an aerial point of view. But its not there from the "street" view as the image capture date is 2007.
Great! We will be headed to Tennessee for a week at some point soon. But we sometimes try to make the 800+ mile trip in one day so even a short detour adds to a long trip. If you get a chance that will be good.
 #1406217  by lehigh310

Google street view - per the article Otto quoted in his October 12 post, the caboose was relocated from the entrance of the building to the rear. When you go to street view, go up to Main St, and you'll see the caboose sitting in front of the building...actually, attached to the front of the building. The blue tarp covering the one side of the caboose would seem to indicate that side of the car was removed and the car body was integrated into the front of the building.
 #1406279  by SST

Can't believe I missed that. I've visited Fredonia many times and have never seen that caboose attached to the building. My friend has kids at the collage and in that area where the caboose is attached we are usually in the car driving around and those trees are blocking the view just enough that the caboose doesn't get my attention. Can't say I ever remember walking past it.

I am looking forward to my next visit.
 #1410250  by BR&P

YGTBSM!! Image Image

I was by there about 3 weeks ago, but it was on an 835 mile 13 hour (one way) trip, so both going and returning I just didn't feel like getting off the Thruway, finding the caboose, and resuming the trip. I guess I should have forced myself.

Any indication whether it was cut up or maybe moved to another location?
 #1410295  by SST

Not a clue. I looked for deep tire tracks in the dirt/stone that it was sitting on or perhaps a crane sat. Nothing. Although I didn't get out of the car to closely inspect the area, you'd never know it was there. Clean.

The front of the building is still boarded up and is quite noticeable now that I know where to look. I'd almost guess the building is abandoned or at least un-used.

Lets hope its being rebuilt and not scraped.