Railroad Forums 

• NYC Beacon Branch?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#64468  by Otto Vondrak

Can someone tell me about something called the Beacon branch? I thought the New Haven ran between Hopewell Junction and Beacon, but I keep hearing reference to a Beacon Branch. Doe I have my lines crossed?

-otto-

#64469  by DutchRailnut

The Beacon Branch ran from Hopewell Jct to Beacon and was a NNH&HRR line.
the Beacon line runs from Beacon to stateline by MNCR, it incorporatets the Beacon Branch and part of Maybrook line.
I have never heard of a NYCRR Beacon Branch.

#64494  by Otto Vondrak

That's what I thought. I wonder why I keep seeing references to an NYC Beacon Branch... unless NYC had an industrial track that went somewhere into downtown Beacon?

-otto-

#64720  by JBlaisdell

There were no NYC tracks in Beacon, save for a few sidings off the main on the riverfront itself. The NY&NE docks were actually in Fishkill Landing, up the hill was Mattewan. They merged into Beacon 1913 or so.

The Dutchess & Columbia (later Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut) ran thru Hopewell to Dutchess Jct (couple miles south of current Beacon station site). When Hartford, Providence & Fishkill/ Boston, Hartford & Erie started grading, they ran over ND&C Hopewell to Wiccopee Jct (just west of Mattewan/ Beacon), then split off northerly to river. This is the line used by NY&NE (formerly BH&E) into today, Dutchess Jct abandoned after New Haven consolodated everything.

Likely was sloppy research, assuming anything that touched the Hudson was NYC. I have a book on Dutchess County history done by 2 Vassar "professors" that shows a train in Hopewell and captions it as "New York and Hartford," a RR that never existed, despite NYNH&H being clearly visible on the cars! Other errors exist, proving that a little knowledge IS a dangerous thing.