Railroad Forums 

• NYC Auburn route rail trail

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#1454608  by D Alex

I've started a ride post for the NYC Auburn road trail out of Rochester, NY over at RoadBikeReview.com ( http://forums.roadbikereview.com/new-yo ... 63089.html ). I've only started (winter set in early this year), but I plan to finish this route all the way past Victor, NY, and also post a ride report of the Lehigh Valley mainline trail from Fishers to the bridge over the Genessee at Scottsville, as well. There are several other sections of rail trail locally that I'll post, and maybe even a few that others could alert me to.
 #1568422  by D Alex

Quite a few changes to the northern part of the trail; the Town of Brighton has finally decided to improve this trail, from Clover all the way to Highland Avenues. First, the section which used to go behind the bowling alley has been re-routed on it's own powdered-gravel bypass, going around the new parking for the (as yet unbuilt) Whole Foods. Then, right across Allens Creek, the trail is now a 10' wide trail with gravel underlay, weed barrier, and powdered gravel surface, and this is going all the way to Highland! No more odd outcrop of railroad ballast on a packed single-track like it used to be! Smooth, maintained, and now a great bicycle route down to Pittsford Plaza, and on to the village of Pittsford.

At the same time, while the path from French Road to the Del Monte still remains more unimproved than improved, they HAVE cut back the overgrowth on the sides lately, at least making it possible to pass going opposite directions anywhere on the trail.