Railroad Forums 

• NYC and the Bronx Terminal Market

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1045947  by Tommy Meehan

Just found this nugget of information while browsing this very forum. It was posted six years ago.

I know the "Chief Troll" (an NYC yard clerk when he was working the garden spots in the Bronx in the early 1960s) fairly well and am certain he won't mind my recycling his old post.
ChiefTroll wrote:....Bronx Terminal Market was served by the NYC up to Penn Central days, when most of the perishable traffic went to Hunt's Point (after PC got the New Haven) or just to trucks. BTM was owned by the City of New York, and everyone there rented their space from the City, even the NYC for the yard office. It was right next to another space leased by Hans Holterbusch, the Lowenbrau distributor for the area. I always avoided the opportunity to violate Rule G when I worked at BTM, even though I was 18 years old, and that was drinking age in New York State. I enjoyed my RR job too much, and in that part of the world I really needed to keep my wits about me all the time...