Railroad Forums 

• NYAR/CSX interchange

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #791441  by ccutler

I saw a 30 car inbound to NYAR today and a 100 car outbound crossing Hell's Gate. Anyone know the presumed schedule for these trains? I sometimes see an outbound early in the morning, and other times in the afternoon.
 #791623  by R36 Combine Coach

First, this should go in NY Railfan or the NYA forums, not LIRR.

Generally CSX runs six days a week (Mon-Sat) from Oak Point-Fresh Point via Hell Gate and the NYCR Fremont Secondary. The inbound runs between the mid-AM and early afternoon and usually returns light to the Bronx in the later afternoon. Of course, schedules may vary depending on loads and demand.
 #799286  by MNR's #1 Conductor

R36 Combine Coach wrote:First, this should go in NY Railfan or the NYA forums, not LIRR.

Generally CSX runs six days a week (Mon-Sat) from Oak Point-Fresh Point via Hell Gate and the NYCR Fremont Secondary. The inbound runs between the mid-AM and early afternoon and usually returns light to the Bronx in the later afternoon. Of course, schedules may vary depending on loads and demand.
On a few occasions, there have been some Sunday runs as well, when/as needed.

Today, I noticed early, about 6:50 this morning CSX freight going north, and again today at about 11:20 another going south, inevitably to come back north later on, either light engines or with cars.
 #799742  by DogBert

There's a much longer older thread on this topic here:
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=20
(not sure why it moved to the csx board since it also covers cp & p&w interchanges, but).

Basic pattern is this:
weekdays - csx into FP light early morning, anytime from 4 to 5 am, they take outbound cars and head back to oak point btw 5 a,d 7 am. usually closer to 5.

they come back with inbound cars around mid day, anytime from 9am to 2pm, and come back with just the engines about an hour, hour and a half later.

saturdays they come inbound mid day and leave 3-4 hours later depending if they stop for lunch. cars both directions.

sunday trips are very very rare.
 #800840  by rb

Caught CSX Bronx-bound over the Hell Gate around 2p on Saturday. 2 SD-40-2s with what looked like about 60 cars.
 #801112  by Mr GP10

At about 12:30AM this morning I saw P&W on 34th Ave in Jackson Heights with 4 engines and 55 hopper cars going to Fresh Pond Yard.
 #803287  by rb

Just overtook an inbound CSX run while riding the Acela to Penn. I counted up to 80 cars before my train veered off toward Sunnyside Yard. I could not see the CSX power and am not sure how much longer the train was.

I did see several bulkhead flats loaded with rebar. Where would those be going?
 #809085  by rb

CSX Queens bound on the bridge at 4:10pm, 2 engines & 68 cars.
 #809158  by hrfcarl

At what point does the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch become CSX's NY Connecting RR trackage? Is this the same place where LIRR/NYAR & CSX trackage rights end?

Thanks.
 #809708  by DogBert

PPPPPPPP&W just left town. Stopped for a few minutes on the HG approach. They had plenty of GATX cars pulled from Maspeth just 2 hours ago.

P&W seems to be leaving town around 5pm these days, probably waiting around for the SKY empties.

CSX came inbound around 12 again as per usual.
 #809866  by freightguy

I think it becomes CSX right north of Fremont around bridge 35. I think NYAR have to contact CSX yardmaster in Oakpoint when they head to the north end of the interchange which is about even with M subway station near Metropolitan Ave.
 #811201  by DogBert

Sounds like the most likely spot, though for csx to drop the cars and run around, they go as far south as the switches just north of ENY tunnel.

Who maintains which yard tracks, and what the yard limits are, are good questions for which I have no answers.
 #815097  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DogBert wrote:CSX inbound 4PM today, extra welded rail train.
That welded rail train was destined to the LIRR. I saw and got shots of the LIRR CWR train at Queens Village on the weekend 2 weeks ago.