Railroad Forums 

• NYA With New Power?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#161341  by tushykushy

Since I can't attend railfest this week I made my way out to RMLI at night to see this thing and take some shots.

That thing idles so hard. Might as well just leave it out there or donate it to the Riverhead Aquarium.

#161384  by Long island Joe

http://long_island_joe.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/4879/SV300138.JPG

#161644  by Rush2ny

She looked purty! :P

Russ

#162341  by badneighbor

Trains Magazine website
Pacific Harbor Line to replace existing locomotives

LOS ANGELES – Pacific Harbor Lines, the neutral switching operation of the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, said it has tentatively agreed to begin a $23 million program to replace its existing fleet of 18 diesel-electric locomotives with cleaner-burning diesel-electrics as well as alternative-fuel locomotives.

The pact, which will be presented to the Long Beach and Los Angeles Harbor Commissions for approval, calls for PHL to acquire 16 locomotives equipped with new diesel engines that exceed U.S. Environmental Protection Agency “Tier 2” standards for the reduction of air pollutants. In addition, PHL would acquire two alternative-fuel locomotives – one using liquefied natural gas and the other incorporating hybrid diesel-battery technology. The latter is expected to be a RailPower Green Goat.

Under the pact, the ports would each pay up to $5 million toward the estimated $23 million necessary to replace the fleet, with the balance coming from the railroad and a $3.2 million grant from the state of California.
Perhaps some more hand-me-down equipment coming to LI? Could NYA acquire some more locos from LA?

magazine link
http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/A ... 6dtmci.asp

#162663  by Scrap em Again

Being on a trip to LA a few weeks ago, I decided to stop by our sister railroad PHL. PHL management was kind enough and warmly greeted me on the property, giving me "all access" to be on the property. I explored most of their engines, and actually took a crack at PHL SD-18 40, in a switching move, I was impressed by a nearly 50 year old engines ability to pull. I would not mind seeing it and a few others around here. But NYA will not be getting any other engines anytime soon.

#162783  by emfinite

I was on a road trip last week and happened to visit Paducah's VMV shops in Kentucky, Larry's Truck and Electric in McDonald, OH and the NS Juniata shops in Altoona. Lots of big power there getting rebuilt or getting maintenance. At Larry's, there was about 15 SD-18's there waiting to be rebuilt. Nice looking stuff. What a shame NYAR is the way it is. So many cheap alternatives to using crap equipment.

Joe
 #163025  by SwitchMonkey

The only way the NYA would get any additional power is to trap a gaggle of Bushwick rats and lock them in a oversized hamster wheel. No worries about feeding them, there's little to no maintenance anyway.